A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere
 
HomeHome  ShortcutsShortcuts  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Ships of the Old Navy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura


Posts : 2647
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Fri 25 Sep 2015, 14:54

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis


Posts : 698
Join date : 2012-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Fri 25 Sep 2015, 21:27

A fascinating read that Trike. Particularly the suggestion of a cod war between the Icelanders and the English with attendant concerns regarding declining fish stocks in the 1400s. Plus ca change ....
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura


Posts : 2647
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Wed 02 Dec 2015, 15:18

Jutland veteran HMS Caroline, currently moored in Belfast, will be open to the public next year;

HMS Caroline
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura


Posts : 2647
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Mon 14 Dec 2015, 14:04

Painting of the three deck, 112 gun, HMS St Lawrence. What is unusual about this ship is she is not at sea, but is instead on Lake Ontario. She was the RN's largest fresh water warship. Built at the Kingston Dockyard on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812, St Lawrence dominated the lake during the final few months of the war so absolutely that she never needed to fire a shot in anger;



After the war she was sold off, ending up as a storage pier for a lakeside brewery. Here she was sunk, and is now a popular diving site:

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura


Posts : 2647
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Wed 22 Jun 2016, 14:18

The timbers of HMS Namur form part of the new "Command of the Oceans" exhibit at Chatham Historical Dockyard;

Command of the Oceans


Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura


Posts : 2647
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Wed 22 Jun 2016, 14:34

22 June 1807, the Leopard- Chesapeake incident;

The Chesapeake Incident


Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura


Posts : 1294
Join date : 2012-01-01
Location : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Thu 23 Jun 2016, 20:56

@Triceratops wrote:
The timbers of HMS Namur form part of the new "Command of the Oceans" exhibit at Chatham Historical Dockyard;

Command of the Oceans



Read the link with great interest, Triceratops.
Was a bit puzzled by the name "Namur"...and wondered if it had something to do with our "Namur" in Belgium.
On the first sight not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Namur_(1756)


But then I found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Namur
"Two ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Namur, after the capture of the Belgian city of Namur by William III in 1695, whilst another was launched, but never completed:"
Now I see that old fellow from the North of Belgium. One of the flock of Willems, starting with William the Silent. Read a whole book about William III from the Dutch Wouter Troost
https://goo.gl/akDGke

And it seems that that book in its description of the Dutch time from William wasn't always appreciated by some other Dutch historians, although I found when comparing with other information it was in my opinion a fair picture of that period...

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura


Posts : 1294
Join date : 2012-01-01
Location : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Thu 23 Jun 2016, 21:15

@Triceratops wrote:
22 June 1807, the Leopard- Chesapeake incident;

The Chesapeake Incident




Triceratops, thanks to you I did some quick research (Wikipedia Wink ) on a war that I never fully had knowledge from...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

Reading all this, I became aware how Britain dominated the world already in that time. In the middle of the struggle of the Napoleontic Wars they had still time and resources to counter the USA...?

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura


Posts : 2647
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Fri 24 Jun 2016, 12:57

Paul, one of the American ships from this war, the USS Constitution, is still afloat in Boston Harbor;

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura


Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Pyrénées-Orientales, France

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Fri 24 Jun 2016, 14:56

@PaulRyckier wrote:

Reading all this, I became aware how Britain dominated the world already in that time. In the middle of the struggle of the Napoleontic Wars they had still time and resources to counter the USA...?

Kind regards, Paul.

But surely the war of 1812 wasn't a separate conflict that Britain undertook in the midst of the Napoleonic wars ... it was an integral part of the Napoleonic Wars. The British were trying to blockade the trade from the US to France, and the US were trying to break this blockade and also, with French support, were threatening British possessions in Canada. In a similar vein the Wars in the Indian sub-continent were also between Britain with its Indian allies, and France with her allies. The Napoleonic Wars were truely a worldwide conflict.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura


Posts : 1294
Join date : 2012-01-01
Location : Belgium

PostSubject: Re: Ships of the Old Navy   Sat 25 Jun 2016, 22:00

@Meles meles wrote:
@PaulRyckier wrote:

Reading all this, I became aware how Britain dominated the world already in that time. In the middle of the struggle of the Napoleontic Wars they had still time and resources to counter the USA...?

Kind regards, Paul.

But surely the war of 1812 wasn't a separate conflict that Britain undertook in the midst of the Napoleonic wars ... it was an integral part of the Napoleonic Wars. The British were trying to blockade the trade from the US to France, and the US were trying to break this blockade and also, with French support, were threatening British possessions in Canada. In a similar vein the Wars in the Indian sub-continent were also between Britain with its Indian allies, and France with her allies. The Napoleonic Wars were truely a worldwide conflict.

 Meles meles,

you are quite right and I realized it by looking more in depth to the whole story. And it is a welcome addition to my thread about the Napoleontic wars...

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
 

Ships of the Old Navy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: War and Conflict-