HomeHome  ShortcutsShortcuts  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Happy Christmas from Jethro

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles BarbariƦ

PostSubject: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Tue 25 Dec 2012, 14:03

By way of a seasonal gesture on the part of the management: I noticed Jethro Tull Radio has gone into christmas mode so thought it might be nice to invite Ian Anderson and mates over for a bit and share a few songs with us. There's a widget on the shortcuts page one can activate to hear them. If you want to browse the site without interrupting your Tullian pleasures once you've started listening then I recommend you right-click on a link when leaving the shortcuts page, open in a new tab, and then carry on browsing in that one.

Happy Everything!

Back to top Go down
http://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Tue 25 Dec 2012, 17:04

Anyone else out there remember the Magic Village in Manchester? Jethro Tull was a regular.

"LIving in the Past" - what most of us here do, I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsCyC1dZiN8&hl=en-GB&gl=GB
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Tue 25 Dec 2012, 21:40

Quote :
Anyone else out there remember the Magic Village in Manchester?

Er no, do tell us more. Was that a precursor to Canal St?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Wed 26 Dec 2012, 10:17

We used to go there around 1968/69 - quite illegally, I suppose, because we were very young. Our parents would have been horrified had they known where we were really going of a Friday night. But we were of course quite safe at the Magic Village - we just drank coke and listened to excellent music. I saw Jethro Tull and Fleetwood Mac there. As silly teenagers we would have been in far greater danger had we been in the audience of "Top of the Pops".

I think Canal St. is the Gay Village in Manchester now. Haven't lived up there for over twenty years, so I don't really know, ferval.

The Magic Village

At weekends we'd hang out at The Magic Village, Manchester's very own psychedelic dungeon under the proprietary gaze of the club's owner Roger Eagle. The club became a honey-pot for the North West's proto-hippie community. Its damp and cave-like atmosphere was lit and lightened by a lightshow supplied by Dave Backhouse and Martin Sheridan.

A Lightshow is Turned On

A series of converted 35mm slide Rank Aldiss projectors, were precariously perched on a make-do scaffolding gantry (doubtless supplied from their roofing day job) and this Heath Robinson structure provided the platform for the wonderment to begin. Two or more circles of glass, stuck together along the edges with Araldite glue were then flled with oils, washing up liquid and bubbles and a 1000 watt light passed through them to create the characteristic multi-coloured, psycedelic effects so evcative of the late sixties. These 'mind-expanding' colours and shapes danced on the top of performances by Jethro Tull, the Third Ear and Edgar Broughton Bands, to name but three of the regular acts.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Happy Christmas from Jethro   Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:03

Reminds me of outings to Chalk Farm when I was living in Essex. I know I saw "The Pink Floyd Experience" there, and memory suggests (possibly erroneously) that I also saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAHkb4bW5Y

Never quite got over Sonja Kristina - not sure if I want to go to the Robin 2 in April and get disillusioned or not.
Back to top Go down

Happy Christmas from Jethro

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Eagle and Child-