The following article appeared in the Daily Mail this week. It was not a joke:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401042/First-world-problems-Brie-hard-Pimms-warm-Cleaner-got-day-off.html
The following are the Top 25 problems with which we in the Western world have to cope every day. I do actually sympathise greatly with No. 25 - the Weetabix (or Oatibix) conundrum - but am rather surprised that one of my personal stressors - having to wash the filter on the Dyson every three months - did not make it to the list.TOP 25 WORST FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS
1. It's boiling hot outside, but freezing in the air conditioned office.
2. My personal trainer took the week off so I have to work out alone.
3. My wallet won't close because there's too much money in it..
4. I bought a dishwasher and now spend longer packing and unpacking it than I did washing up
5. My Brie is too hard.
6. No semi-skimmed milk in the supermarket, just full fat.
7. Earphones getting tangled up in your bag.
8. Chipped nail varnish.
9. Warm Pimms.
10. The cleaner taking a day off..
11. Trying to keep electricals out of the sun whilst sunbathing e.g. phone, camera etc.
12. Watch / jewellery causing unsightly tan lines.
13. Spotting someone wearing the same outfit as you.
14. Squeaky new shoes which hurt whilst breaking them in.
15. Snagging designer clothing.
16. Over / under brewed tea.
17. Remote control batteries have run out.
18. A disappointing air freshener.
19. The wind blowing your summer dress or skirt up.
20. Stepping on something wet while wearing socks.
21. Hair sticking to lipstick or lip balm in the slightest breeze.
22. You update your mobile phone and lose all your contacts.
23. Sitting on your designer sunglasses.
24. Getting a fishbone stuck in your throat.
25. Two Weetabix not fitting in a round bowl properly, resulting in half of them becoming soggy and the other dry.
I wonder how the stressors affecting our ancestors/forebears would compare? Could we compile a list of top 50 - 100 stressors for people living from, say, 3AD - ish to 1945? For example:
1. Black Death reported in neighbouring village.
2. Vikings have burnt down village, raped all the women and stolen all the livestock - again
3. Rye bread has gone mouldy and entire village has consequently gone bonkers - again
4. Being burnt at the stake for something you didn't do (or, indeed, for something you did
5. Dog poo and/or vomit stuck in the floor rushes.