HomeHome  ShortcutsShortcuts  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Historical Trivia and Curiosity Trails

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Historical Trivia and Curiosity Trails   Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:42

Odd facts of things you did not know often pop up in other research which lead to  curiosity trails that may or may not  grow into much - but perhaps someone here knows a bit more.

For instance, I've just read that Hitler had the body of Napoleon's young son moved to be buried beside his father; some parts were left in jars in Austria though: gruesome. This reburial was done to  please the French. But did it?

Last edited by Priscilla on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 14:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording)
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Historical Trivia and Curiosity Trails   Sat 22 Nov 2014, 09:07

I doubt the French cared much one way or the other. In his short life  Napoleon II wasn't much involved with France, being King of Rome, then Prince of Parma and finally, after his dad's abdication, Duke of Reichstadt. For most of his adult life until his death he lived in Austria with his maternal grandfather's family.

But an equally curious bit of trivia is that his heart, which as you say was put in a jar and kept in Austria ... still sits in a special vault, the Herzgruft (Hearts Crypt), along with the potted hearts and bottled other bits of another 53 members of the Habsburg family. Napoleon II's heart is in urn 42 and his intestines in urn 76.

..... Which would comprise a veritable Smörgåsbord for that eccentric epicurean dean Dr William Buckland ... ("Talk of strange relics led to mention of the heart of a French King [Louis XIV] preserved at Nuneham in a silver casket. Dr. Buckland, whilst looking at it, exclaimed, 'I have eaten many strange things, but have never eaten the heart of a king before', and, before anyone could hinder him, he had gobbled it up, and the precious relic was lost for ever." Augustus Hare, The Story of My Life, vol. 5, p. 358).
Back to top Go down

Historical Trivia and Curiosity Trails

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Eagle and Child-