Share | 

Monastic Beverages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Monastic Beverages   Wed 07 Jan 2015, 22:16

Vizzer, you may well be correct about Sky News, but it's not a channel I watch, but most "authorities" can't tell the difference between rum and cachaça. Even Wetherspoon's "Brazilizan" offering was made, of all things, with Bacardi.

Some alternatives for the Cariocas can be found at http://www.gobrazilwines.com/category/wine/sparkling-wines
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Monastic Beverages   Thu 08 Jan 2015, 10:54

Chateauneuf-du-pape vineyard, near Avignon. The Avignon Papacy of the 14th century is linked to this wine;

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Monastic Beverages   Thu 08 Jan 2015, 13:02

My very favouritest wine, Trike!

There's this wine called "God's Plan" - nice red, but not sure why it's linked with the Almighty - or the estate with Saint Joan!

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Monastic Beverages   Thu 08 Jan 2015, 13:36

I'm sure I posted this before but if bevy and the pope comes up, any excuse........

Drinking is of course not just confined to the unreformed branch despite the best efforts of Father Jack, it's a genuinely catholic phenomenon.

Apologies for dragging down the tone but I'm in need of cheering up - and another box of tissues.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Monastic Beverages   Thu 08 Jan 2015, 18:05

@nordmann wrote:
That Coles man's voice and general demeanour annoy me - weird thing about him is that his accent actually changed when he got ordained and has now gone all plummy.

I think he always had a posh accent, but he put on a Sarf London one during his days of fame.

I cannot but help warming to a man who recounts this anecdote of his visit to Bangladesh in 2000:

"Bangladesh I remember most vividly - visiting a tribal village that we could only reach by walking through jungle, and being woken up in the morning with a just-picked mango brought by a Bangladeshi who shyly asked me if I could answer a question. I said I would try. As the sun rose on the jungle and the fresh mango fizzed on my tongue, he said, "How do you account for the pessimism in the novels of Thomas Hardy?"

But here we (I) are (am) again straying far from our (my) sheep, as they say in France. Let me post at once another interesting and Vaguely Holy label  - that of the charmingly named Terra Sancta wine. My label is French, but there is a vineyard in New Zealand which produces this stuff. Its website says that "Terra Sancta" is actually a translation of the Kiwi words meaning "special dirt".

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Monastic Beverages   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 15:51

Nearly all the monastic beverages we've cited so far are from the Catholic tradition, but Orthodox monasteries, with their similar ethos for self-sufficiency, must also have developed wine-making ... certainly some of the ancient monasteries on Mont Athos still produce wine for their own consumption. Greece and the Balkans, through to Ukraine and southern Russia, are all good wine producing regions with a long history of viniculture, so there is no practical restriction, but it seems that the products of orthodox brothers do not seem to have become as widely known - nor as commercially successful in the venal modern world - as those of their catholic bretheren. At least that is how it appears to me, although maybe that's just a reflection of my own west-european cultural bias. Or is it simply a function of history which saw the Orthodox church restricted under the Ottomans and then almost completely suppressed by communism?
Back to top Go down

Monastic Beverages

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Civilisation and Community-