View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Thu 30 Apr 2015, 20:45

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Thu 30 Apr 2015, 21:06

Yes, Paul - they did a programme on his life & work some time ago. Surprised it hasn't been repeated (would make a nice change from election forecasts).
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Fri 01 May 2015, 12:56

We love our shipping forecast, Paul. It's something to do with our being an island race, I suppose. Here's one of my favourite poems. You have to be British - or Irish - maybe, to understand the emotional  impact of the names of the sea areas - although I think Beowulf would have understood:

The Shipping Forecast by Seamus Heaney

Dogger, Rockall, Malin, Irish Sea:
Green, swift upsurges, North Atlantic flux
Conjured by that strong gale-warning voice,
Collapse into a sibilant penumbra.
Midnight and closedown. Sirens of the tundra,
Of eel-road, seal-road, keel-road, whale-road, raise
Their wind-compounded keen behind the baize
And drive the trawlers to the lee of Wicklow.
L’Etoile, Le Guillemot, La Belle Hélène
Nursed their bright names this morning in the bay
That toiled like mortar. It was marvellous
And actual, I said out loud, ‘A haven,’
The word deepening, clearing, like the sky
Elsewhere on Minches, Cromarty, The Faroes.

There was panic last year (30/5/2014):

A tidal wave of discontent engulfed our Isle this morning. BBC Radio 4 failed to broadcast its 5.20am daily shipping forecast. Complaints flooded in over social media from a bewildered nation, with one woman fearing that its absence meant a “nuclear armageddon” was on the way.

Fortunately, she had no cause to worry – a technical error was responsible for the glitch. Listeners, who had tuned into Radio 4 for the hypnotic tones of the shipping forecast, were instead hearing the sound waves of the BBC World Service.

An apology has been issued by the BBC and the shipping forecast did air (at the later time of 6.40am), but the debacle highlighted just how anchored the Radio 4 show is in British culture.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10864894/The-shipping-forecast-part-of-Britains-cultural-tapestry.html

PS Carol Ann Duffy finishes her poem ‘Prayers’ with the lines:

"Darkness outside. Inside, the radio’s prayer –

Rockall. Malin. Dogger. Finisterre."
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Mon 04 May 2015, 13:27

Weather Forecast

The day will get off to a cloudy start.
It will be quite chilly
But as the day progresses
The sun will come out
And the afternoon will be dry and warm.

In the evening the moon will shine
And be quite bright.
There will be, it has to be said,
A brisk wind
But it will die out by midnight.
Nothing further will happen.

This is the last forecast.

Harold Pinter March 2003

His previously published poem however was much shorter, and much better ...

Democracy

There's no escape.
The big pricks are out.
They'll f**k everything in sight.
Watch your back.

Harold Pinter Februrary 2003

And just in case these were too subtle ...

God Bless America

Here they go again,
The Yanks in their armoured parade
Chanting their ballads of joy
As they gallop across the big world
Praising America's God.

The gutters are clogged with the dead
The ones who couldn't join in
The others refusing to sing
The ones who are losing their voice
The ones who've forgotten the tune.

The riders have whips which cut.
Your head rolls onto the sand
Your head is a pool in the dirt
Your head is a stain in the dust
Your eyes have gone out and your nose
Sniffs only the pong of the dead
And all the dead air is alive
With the smell of America's God.

Harold Pinter January 2003
Back to top Go down
http://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Mon 04 May 2015, 16:24

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Tue 05 May 2015, 09:07

You lot can take the p*ss all you like.

I love the Shipping Forecast, so there.

tongue

PS Finisterre is now Fitzroy - this sea area was renamed in his honour. I'm glad for poor old Fitzroy, but I did like "Finisterre" - dead poetic and all, meaning "the end of the earth".
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Tue 05 May 2015, 10:14

I miss Finisterre too - Fitzroy is all very well but having a chunk of sea called "royal bastard" is much less romantic than "world's end" (here be monsters etc).

Finisterre was dropped as it is also used by the Spanish in their own shipping forecast, but for them is another place entirely.

If you want to lose 15 minutes of your life that you will never get back again here is a click'n'play page that includes Cecilia McDowall's "Shipping Forecast", a choral work in three movements from 2012. She was moved to compose it, she said, when it struck her how mysterious it all was (she didn't know what was meant by "good" or what a North Utsire was when it was at home). She also misses Finisterre - who she probably thought was a top-hat-and-tailed dancer.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Wed 06 May 2015, 08:26

I was aware that North Utsire and South Utsire were newcomers to the BBC shipping forecast in the 1980s. And I had thought that these were existing areas to the north of Viking. What I hadn't appreciated (until now) was that they were actually ceded from Viking. I have obviously been confusing them with East Tampen and West Tampen all this while. It's a good job that no fisherman or oil workers etc were dependent on my marine weather reports over the last 30 years!

P.S. Why are there 2 ways of spelling Utsira?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Wed 06 May 2015, 09:05

Utsira is the right spelling. "Utsire" is a result of editorial sloppiness in the Met Office which has somehow "stuck".

The word itself is not at all clear in meaning, The Store Norske Leksikon (Big Norwegian Encyclopedia) says this:

Navnet. Førsteleddet Ut- viser til at øya ligger langt til havs. Sira er ikke sikkert forklart; det kan ha samme rot som sjå, med henblikk på at øya er synlig langt til havs, men det kan også settes i samband med sær, sjø, i så fall opprinnelig benyttet om den åpne havstrekningen mellom Utsira og Karmøy. Det er også tolket som en avledning av verbet siga, i så fall om strømningsforhold.

The name: The prefix Ut- indicates that the island lies offshore (not inshore). Sira is not clearly understood. It could be from the same root as "sjå" (to see) with reference to the fact that the island is visible (from the mainland), but it could also be related in a nautical sense to "sær" (special, unique) which might have applied to the open strait between Utsira and Karmøy. There is also an interpretation linking the word to the verb "siga" (gently flow), in which case the reference is to the currents in the area.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Wed 06 May 2015, 21:36

Thanks for that translation nordmann. The spelling 'Utsire' could, perhaps, be seen as being the first stage in a creeping Anglicisation of the name. No doubt in a few hundred years the shipping report might then be referring to 'North Outshire' and 'South Outshire' or even 'North Outshower' and 'South Outshower'.

The more I look into this subject (of meteorological sea areas) the more I find that my ignorance of it seems to be 'deepening'. Take Finisterre for example. I had imagined that it related to an area off Brittany (i.e. French Finistere) and that this was being confused with the Spanish Finisterra off Galicia - hence the name change. Now, however, I find that the area today known as Fitzroy (formerly Finisterre) is indeed off Galicia. So heaven knows where the other 'Spanish Finisterre' is.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast   Wed 06 May 2015, 22:15

Same area - but only a small part of it, AIUI.
Back to top Go down

Admiral Robert FitzRoy Weather forecast

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Individuals-