A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Daily Rant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 26 Jun 2017, 15:17

Definitely not a stoat then, they're only little, but that's about the size of our martens. The Mammal Society  say ours are partial to a mixture of cheese, bread and raspberry jam in the evening (honestly, however they are Scottish!) but perhaps Greek ones have a different palate and a healthier diet.

Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 26 Jun 2017, 17:00

Oh the Greek ones are completely free range and people don't encourage them with feeding. They say they kill the chickens which I can believe and there are some who have said that they can also kill the lambs and kids, that one I find very hard to believe. There are plenty of rodents and rabbits around without them having to take on something 3 times larger than itself and with protective mothers nearby.

The Scottish ones do sound a tad pampered. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 26 Jun 2017, 17:36

I'd completely forgotten this ... one of my cat's last Autumn killed, what at the time I thought was a stone marten (known in France as a fouine), but I now rather think it was a stoat (all white tummy and much smaller):

But anyway thanks to your query, ID, and subsequently from several websites I looked at today, I now know it is definitely fouines (certainly not stoats or weasels) that have recently been leaving little cherry-stone-filled turds all around the garden:

I guess there must be quite a few around here though I've never seen one, but I now suspect that might be what I hear squeaking loudly during the night, at the back of the house where there are fruit trees. From Ferval's photo they look very cute, though I'm not sure I want a family of them living in my attic.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 01 Jul 2017, 13:23

I felt a bit mean doing so but I put some sealed boxes of bait down for Pixie's and Dixie's relations.  The instructions said to be careful if one has a pet lest the pet be harmed.  Anyway, I noticed that one of the door posts by the French window had warped and there was a hole large enough for a mouse/some mice to gain access.  I've stuck some wire wool in the gap pro-temp.  The foaming filler from tins is supposed to be effective though I'm told it's  not for the faint of heart.  One has to have all the holes identified because the tins can't be re-used once they've beeen obtained.  I've heard of there being martens on Cannock Chase which is fairly near (a bus ride though - not a stroll up the road) where I live.  Can't say I've ever seen any.  I've heard of somebody using a polecat to flush out rabbits.  Not sincerely thine, I'm a vegetarian.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 01 Jul 2017, 16:52

I need several polecats, plus a shotgun.

The rabbits are back in my garden. They have demolished everything at nose level.

This is total war - the time for mercy is now passed.

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 13 Jul 2017, 20:43

Well - I'm fed up of having issues trying to log into Skype - I've mentioned it on another thread so won't go into too much detail here. Regarding the meeces - I haven't seen any lately but that doesn't necessarily mean they've gone. I've bought some caulk to fill in the holes - it just rallying myself to do the job now.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 15 Jul 2017, 10:54

Idly watching TV last night I saw an advert for ARTIFICIAL CHRISTMAS TREES. Dear God, it's not even the Glasgow Fair yet.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 15 Jul 2017, 11:00

ferval wrote:
Idly watching TV last night I saw an advert for ARTIFICIAL CHRISTMAS TREES. Dear God, it's not even the Glasgow Fair yet.

Ferval,
Even though I get to see Chrismas trees every year, I'm most pleased to say that I've yet to go/come somewhere with an artificial one.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 15 Jul 2017, 11:25

Good gracious, Neilsen, no artificial trees in Denmark? I'm surprised, they are very popular here, and in many colours, and I have had a big green one that's about 15 years old although I usually have a small real one as well. It was the timing rather than the artificiality that got to me though, I never wish to hear the C word much before December although that's a vain hope I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 15 Jul 2017, 13:10

Well, I can't say they don't exist in Denmark.

It's just that I've only seen them in shops, and not in private homes.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 09:08

Lord, it's the "Nordic" diet now:

Eat Like a Viking and Live Forever.

Some of the comments after the article are actually quite funny:

Moderate to light consumption of wine? Have these people been in Oslo at the weekend?

I tried this diet - had to stop after the urge to attack the North of England became too much!

"Eating like a Viking can nearly halve the risk of a life-threatening cardiac event". Mmm - it's not really clear whether the diet is actually what the modern Scandinavian people eat, or whether it's what gave the proper Vikings their strength and energy. Surely Vikings didn't eat wild rice or drink wine? They're for softies.

"Rye bread and cabbage and fish" - I think I'd rather have a cardiac event. Such an event would be - er- at least a bit more eventful than the fish and cabbage option.

Last edited by Temperance on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 19:59; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 10:50

I had a Norwegian couple staying here a few days ago. Newly married they'd bought a bottle of Tattinger champagne at the duty-free airport shop at Girona in Spain to drink outside when they arrived here. They were saying how amazingly cheap booze was compared to Norway - though I'm not sure one can actually call a bottle of Tattinger Reserve "booze" - having paid just 30€ for the bottle. I asked how much it would be in Norway and they said 230 .... I thought initially they meant in Norwegian Kroner, but no they meant 230€, just for a bottle of champagne! No wonder the vikings came all that way to plunder Lindisfare Abbey of its mead.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:03

Good grief - that's about £203 in real money.

You can get a bottle of Tatty champers in Asda in Barnstaple for about 40 quid! As you say, it's no wonder those Viking chaps came plundering and looting here. But why here? Why didn't they head for the wine-producing regions of France and Italy? Easy to get here in their big boats, I suppose - were the Vikings not much good at trekking overland to grab stuff?
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:13

But they did, didn't they ... they sailed up the Seine, took over Normandy (although admittedly that's more cider and calvados country) and stayed put, at least until that Bastard Guillaume decided to chance his arm and take over all the southern English vinyards and breweries, and then they got themselves well esconced in Sicily with all its wine as well.

Last edited by Meles meles on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:16

Oh, of course - I'd forgotten those beastly Normans!!. They didn't get into mainland Italy, though, did they? The Norsemen certainly went for all the Asda champagne down here:

By the 9th century, the major threat to peace in Devon came from Viking raiders. To confound them, Alfred the Great refortified Exeter as a defensive burh, followed by new erections at Lydford, Halwell and Pilton, although these fortifications were relatively small compared to burhs further east, suggesting these were protection for only the elite. Edward the Elder built similarly at Barnstaple and Totnes. The English defeated a combined Cornish and Danish force at Callington in 832. Sporadic Viking incursions continued, however, until the Norman Conquest, including the disastrous defeat of the Devonians at the Battle of Pinhoe in 1001. A few Norse placenames remain as a result, for example Lundy Island. The men of Devon are said by Asser to have fought the Danes at the battle of the Battle of Cynwit in 878, which may have been at Kenwith Castle or Countisbury, although Cannington in Somerset is also claimed as the site of the battle. In 894, the Danes attempted to besiege Exeter but were driven off by King Alfred but it was sacked in 1001.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:35

Was it the Asda champagne or the BOGOF party-packs of lager? I rather think they were attracted to the west country by the Bucky wine? That seems to me more their sort of drink than champagne, however good the offer.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:45

It was the Bucky Wine Easter eggs that did for the Vikings - they all converted to Christianity on the spot. They were never the same again...

Last edited by Temperance on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:48

Not that bluddy Nordic diet again - there's no way that I'm having live ants and a selection of weeds from some wasteland for lunch and paying a small fortune for the privilege.

I'm quite an adventurous eater but I prefer my protein not to try to escape as I wield my fork: it's bad enough chasing peas around the plate......
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:50

Now that is an understandable offer, Temperance.

Btw. in my case,, do I use the expression 'a posterior viking'?

Last edited by Nielsen on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:55

ferval wrote:
Not that bluddy Nordic diet again - there's no way that I'm having live ants and a selection of weeds from some wasteland for lunch and paying a small fortune for the privilege.

I'm quite an adventurous eater but I prefer my protein not to try to escape as I wield my fork: it's bad enough chasing peas around the plate......

Where I come from, Ferval, adventurous eating has just about reached the level of Indian curries, with the appropriate level of joking  reaching this low,
'What's the difference between a candle and a Vindaloo? - the candle only burns at one end.'

This is worse than limbo rock.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 12:08

I'm slightly shocked by the Bucky Easter Egg .... I suppose it's only a small step up from liqueur-filled chocolates but it does seem to be a bit like putting methedone tabs in a Kinder Surprise, or the Junior Smoker Kits you used to be able to get, but with the chocolate cigarettes replaced by a real pack of twenty.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 12:27

Meles meles wrote:
I'm slightly shocked by the Bucky Easter Egg .... I suppose it's only a small step up from liqueur-filled chocolates but it does seem to be a bit like putting methedone tabs in a Kinder Surprise, or the Junior Smoker Kits you used to be able to get, but with the chocolate cigarettes replaced by a real pack of twenty.

I share your unease. You can get Bucky tee shirts now too - all very funny, except the stuff is actually lethal - horribly addictive to kids, combining as it does some of their favourite things: alcohol, sugar and caffeine. I'm surprised the monks haven't managed to get nicotine - or heroin - into the secret recipe - perhaps they have. All good for business.

The words say: "Don't blame it on the sunshine. Don't blame it on the moonlight. Don't blame it on the good times. Just blame it on the Bucky."

The "it" isn't specified.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Tue 18 Jul 2017, 21:44

Temperance wrote:
Good grief - that's about £203 in real money.

You can get a bottle of Tatty champers in Asda in Barnstaple for about 40 quid! As you say, it's no wonder those Viking chaps came plundering and looting here. But why here? Why didn't they head for the wine-producing regions of France and Italy? Easy to get here in their big boats, I suppose - were the Vikings not much good at trekking overland to grab stuff?

Temp,

"Good grief - that's about £203 in real money."

"in real money"... Wink Wink Wink ...Temp, my dear, I couldn't resist...

Regards from your accustomed Paul.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 07 Aug 2017, 08:43

Poor Mary Beard under attack again for suggesting Roman Britain enjoyed ethnic diversity. Well of course it did as Rome was an Empire, in exactly the same way that the English Empire enabled ethnic diversity. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/06/mary-beard-twitter-abuse-roman-britain-ethnic-diversity?CMP=twt_gu

Last edited by Islanddawn on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 19:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 07 Aug 2017, 08:43

Deleted this post because one post somehow became two.

Last edited by Islanddawn on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 08:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 07 Aug 2017, 08:45

Deleted this post because there was a hickup and two posts somehow became three, this is rather like the loaves and fishes. They're multiplying.... affraid
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 07 Aug 2017, 09:06

Islanddawn wrote:
Deleted this post because there was a hickup and two posts somehow became three, this is rather like the loaves and fishes. They're multiplying.... affraid

Are you referring to the words 'go forth and multiply,' ID???

How?

I was reminded of the jockey who'd been in church and listened to the sermon, so the next racing day he went fourth, and was hauled up before the stewards ...
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 07 Aug 2017, 17:37

Looking at ID's post about Mary Beard being criticised on Twitter, I remember a few years ago before I realised just how toxic the internet can be, I typed something on a site where some very racist things were being said about a news story to the effect that there had been black people, possibly not great in number but there had been some, in late 18th century and in 19th century London in that the writer Thackeray alluded to a negro servant in "Vanity Fair" and in Henry Mayhew's "London's Poor" he mentions a black street sweeper.  I had some very discourteous replies - implying that I a brain transplant though some were even nastier though I don't remember them exactly.  Also some years ago there was a (very loose - more or less a retelling) of the King Arthur story for the kiddiwinks on the Beeb - "Merlin".  It was fairly harmless and aired if I remember to fill the spot between "Strictly Come Dafties" and the lottery programme on a Saturday night, but the showrunners cast an actress of mixed race to play Gwenevere.   Some people were jumping up and down about that - I thought that it was feasible in Dark Age Britain that there might be people of African descent but probably not a great many of them.  As ID says, Britain was part of the Roman Empire which extended into part of Africa, so there could have been soldiers of African descent (and possibly sailors from Africa manning vessels which visited these shores).  I have some dim and distant memory of reading something that way back in the shrouds of time Britain traded with Phoenicia (though of course that was the eastern Mediterranean rather than Africa).

I had my six monthly check up with the consultant about coeliac disease today and was disappointed that my blood tests taken in advance showed that I was still testing positive.  I have been buying the gluten-free bread and soups  etc etc but some cross-contamination has obviously crept in somewhere.  I sometimes get some things like french fries only made from lentils - maybe they are cooked in oil that is cross-contaminated.  it is possible to make one's own snacks so maybe I'll have to try that.  A failure albeit an unknowing one to fully exclude gluten could be why I've still been getting tired sometimes.  I tried to have 40 winks this aft for that reason but it didn't work.

Maybe I need some Bucky wine to cheer me up but if it's as lethal as Temperance suggests maybe not - and I have no idea whether or not it is gluten free.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 12:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : repetition of "it was feasible")
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 07 Aug 2017, 21:33

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Looking at ID's post about Mary Beard being criticised on Twitter, I remember a few years ago before I realised just how toxic the internet can be, I typed something on a site where some very racist things were being said about a news story to the effect that there had been black people, possibly not great in number but there had been some, in late 18th century and in 19th century London in that the writer Thackeray alluded to a negro servant in "Vanity Fair" and in Henry Mayhew's "London's Poor" he mentions a black street sweeper.  I had some very discourteous replies - implying that I a brain transplant though some were even nastier though I don't remember them exactly.  Also some years ago there was a (very loose - more or less a retelling) of the King Arthur story for the kiddiwinks on the Beeb - "Merlin".  It was fairly harmless and aired if I remember to fill the spot between "Strictly Come Dafties" and the lottery programme on a Saturday night, but the showrunners cast an actress of mixed race to play Gwenevere.   Some people were jumping up and down about that - I thought that it was feasible in Dark Age Britain it was feasible there might be people of African descent but probably not a great many of them.  As ID says, Britain was part of the Roman Empire which extended into part of Africa, so there could have been soldiers of African descent (and possibly sailors from Africa manning vessels which visited these shores).  I have some dim and distant memory of reading something that way back in the shrouds of time Britain traded with Phoenicia (though of course that was the eastern Mediterranean rather than Africa).

I had my six monthly check up with the consultant about coeliac disease today and was disappointed that my blood tests taken in advance showed that I was still testing positive.  I have been buying the gluten-free bread and soups  etc etc but some cross-contamination has obviously crept in somewhere.  I sometimes get some things like french fries only made from lentils - maybe they are cooked in oil that is cross-contaminated.  it is possible to make one's own snacks so maybe I'll have to try that.  A failure albeit an unknowing one to fully exclude gluten could be why I've still been getting tired sometimes.  I tried to have 40 winks this aft for that reason but it didn't work.

Maybe I need some Bucky wine to cheer me up but if it's as lethal as Temperance suggests maybe not - and I have no idea whether or not it is gluten free.

Lady in retirement,

did some research about "coeliac disease". We have a nearly (coming) family member. She has also to eat without gluten and even now without milk products. She looks as if she has anorexia...As I read it on the fiche of the coeliac disease foundation it is a very serious disease, I feel with you...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 11 Sep 2017, 14:58

I'm putting on weight so perhaps I am slightly recovering from the effects of coeliac disease.

I may have ranted about some of these before but I find myself increasingly hating some expressions here. "You guys" for females or being called a "dude" irritate me and I don't care if "guy" was originally non-gender specific and "dude" comes from Mrs Dudders. Another phrase that has come on my radar recently which I instinctively loathe is "girlcrush" which I think is used to express a straight woman's liking for another woman - say liking a female actress. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with women liking female actresses but why can't someone just say she is a fan of actress X?
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 14 Sep 2017, 05:11

Sorry I've been away and am just catching up. Yes LiR, it is quite bizarre to think one can be part of a pure race, or advocate for it unless one wants to be inbred of course.

This is quite funny even though this level is self delusion is also dangerous, when fact collides with fantasy. I don't get the fuss, does it really matter where one's ancestors originated? 

http://www.businessinsider.com/white-nationalists-genetic-ancestry-tests-dont-like-results-2017-8
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 14 Sep 2017, 18:07

ID, I wonder how they coped with the (average) 2% neanderthal content of their persil white DNA?

LiR, weren't 'crushes' a staple of boarding school stories, usually for a young female teacher or an older girl, males of any sort other than perhaps a grizzled old gardener being conspicuously absent from those establishments? I certainly remember queries about these being a regular feature of the Problem Pages in girls' magazines in the far off days when I devoured such things. Always described as a phase then though.

MM and our other male correspondents, did you discern any such undercurrents in boys' fiction? On reflection, what I read of that variety - Bunter, Biggles, Tom Brown and such like - I don't recall anything overt but then I was young and naive and didn't understand the seething sea of hormones that lay under those tales.

Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Fri 15 Sep 2017, 04:44

ferval wrote:
ID, I wonder how they coped with the (average) 2% neanderthal content of their persil white DNA?

There is always Creationism as a last resort, it has easy answers for any uncomfortable truths.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sun 17 Sep 2017, 17:55

I don't mind the word "crush" - it's "girl crush" I hate. I suppose you are right, Ferval, "crush" was used in school stories in a more innocent time (or was it that I was just unknowing then?).

I missed this programme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpviszpJlg - something about a re-imagining of William Shakespeare's young days I think. I think I was lucky to miss it. I know there is some ambiguity about Shakespeare - whether those of his sonnets that were addressed to a young man were in the spirit of friendship or of friendship with benefits etc. But why the heck did the people making this show feel the need to put sixteenth/seventeenth century women into 21st century party frocks? And what's with the modern pop music? Mercifully, the show was cancelled after one season.
Back to top Go down

The Daily Rant

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Eagle and Child-