A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Daily Rant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 18 Jan 2018, 09:57

Since I bashed my arm I have a tendency to push wrong buttons.  Anyway I obviously didn't sift my laundry properly when I went to the launderette a couple of days ago and when I took stuff out of the dryer I had a melted bra.  It was only an Asda one and I'd had it a while so I haven't done for an expensive one [not that I own really pricey examples of such items].

Re: the carving of initials.  The culprit should maybe have been admonished but if there is a shortage of such surgeons maybe not dismissed.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 18 Jan 2018, 15:51

Should have been sentenced to write on the next 100 transplants "I must not autograph transplanted livers".
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 18 Jan 2018, 17:35

LiR, I fear you will never make a truly liberated feminist - you're supposed to publically burn your bra, preferably on Capitol Hill in front of Congress - and not just slightly singe it whilst doing the laundry!

Smile

"Damn ... I should have set that on laine and not linen!"
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:41

Oh I haven't just burned a bra, MM, not burning - but I lost a piece of thin wool fabric I was using as a shawl while I had my arm in a sling somewhere between hospital and getting off the bus; I've phoned the lost property department at the hospital twice - no luck and emailed Arriva's lost property and have not heard anything.  As it was thin wool somebody could have thought it was calico or bandage type material so maybe it was disposed of as hospital rubbish.  That's the second shawl that dropped off my shoulders while I was in the sling - I couldn't find that either despite walking the same route home as I had when going out.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Mon 29 Jan 2018, 13:33

Well although it's not a whole bunch of money I worked through some of the night last night to complete the self-assessment tax return.  It's really just the typing and other odds and ends I've done to boost my  pension but I didn't want to end up having to pay fine.  I really only do a minimum of online banking but couldn't see how to make the payment and when I rang to try and do it by telephone banking the geezer at the other end of the phone started wittering on about having to send an activation notice.  Anyway,  I managed to pay it off the debit card in the end but there was some squally weather earlier on and the broadband cut out (why it does that in wind and rain I don't know).  I started saying f*** which I don't usually (just as well I was on my own) but fortunately broadband righted itself and the payment went through but it's frustrating when something which should be simple becomes complicated.  I suppose a lot of people are trying to pay at present as 31st of the month is the last day - well I think they give some allowance for processing the transfers but it has to be despatched from the tax payer's bank by end of the month.  Sorry, rant ended, and I feel a bit calmer now.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 08:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:14

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:27

Wrong way round. NRA sits on Uncle Sam.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Thu 15 Feb 2018, 16:05

Very true, Gil, very true.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Wed 21 Feb 2018, 17:50

Growl, grumble, mutter - during the great quiz MM ran my computer played up. And I knew several of the answers straight off too. Last night, when it was all done, I got a better signal. On a better note being of creative bent, could we perhaps make a quiz of lines taken from films? Perhaps we could each send MM or nord, 2/3 suitable quotes  with/ without answers to their pm box?  If one would agree to host such a notion. Just a suggestion but it may ease the burden - for them - their style and skills in presentation being much better than mine own and with  my estuary land signals unreliable at  best. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Wed 21 Feb 2018, 18:18

Google has ruined that kind of quiz, P.

I've just about finished compiling another batch of cherubs and sprogs to identify (after having made them as google-proof as possible). I'm struggling with the audio clues since shockwave and flash are now off the menu (ironically a decision made by Google in fact). Hopefully tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    Yesterday at 14:39

Not so much a rant more a whinge.  Yesterday I rid myself of a plug-in lamp because there was a smell of burning emanating from it - I'd had it since the early 1990s so it had 'done a turn'.  Under the table where I have my computer the leads to the various bit of contraptions are plugged into one of those extension gizmos into which one can insert a few plugs.  I noticed that the cable going from the plug-in place to the main plug on the wall had twisted and was showing the inner cables (not the actual copper wires).  For now I've wrapped insulation tape around the offending part but I'll probably treat myself to a  new one - better safe than sorry - I have a couple of other extenders (can't think of the proper technical name for them offhand) but they only have room to plug in 4 plug and this one has room for 6 (I use 5 though I unplug the computer one at night).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rant    

Back to top Go down

The Daily Rant

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Eagle and Child-