A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 04 Dec 2017, 19:34

@Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
Spent today at the National Poultry Show - about 7000 exhibits, and wandering round grabbing "free" samples from the feed companies, including one whose flour mill I saw burned down when I lived in Chelmsford. Depressingly, neither of the young ladies on the stand had even heard of the fire. I've actually seen two mills burn down, and they do burn extremely fiercely (explosively, even), as the finely divided flour mxes with the air.

I knew, I knew it, Gil.

Still the poultry...still active in the branch?...if it is not impertinent to ask...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 04 Dec 2017, 22:35

@PaulRyckier wrote:
Spent today at the National Poultry Show - about 7000 exhibits, and wandering round grabbing "free" samples from the feed companies, including one whose flour mill I saw burned down when I lived in Chelmsford. Depressingly, neither of the young ladies on the stand had even heard of the fire. I've actually seen two mills burn down, and they do burn extremely fiercely (explosively, even), as the finely divided flour mxes with the air.

I knew, I knew it, Gil.

Still the poultry...still active in the branch?...if it is not impertinent to ask...

Kind regards from Paul.
We now have 4 Muscovy ducks, 10 hens, and Donald. He's more or less blind now, and lives with the hens (to protect the Muscoviess from his "attentions". He was bought 13 years ago, with his partner, Daisy, as Christmas dinner, but the girl Siduri (who went to the auction with her late father and bought them) realised on the way home that they were a "true pair", and hadn't the heart to eat them. Just as well - I couldn't have brought myself to do the deed (I can do it to hens, though these days only as euthanasia). We had a horrible experience early in the year - Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease killed 20+ of our rabbits. Heartbreaking when you have spent years (decades, even) building up a strain to your liking
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 03:41

You might enjoy our last bookclub book, Gil.  It was called The Elusive Language of Ducks and was about a woman grieving for her mother who is given a muscovy duck to help her, which she becomes obsessed with.  It is by NZ author, Judith White, and while most of us didn't enjoy it much (too much duck!) it certainly describes muscovies in detail.  Its themes were grief, mental illness, relationships, loneliness. It does all this with some humour. 

There was a recent NZ film about a poultry show committee in Christchurch: we didn't see it but it got favourable reviews, and when it comes on television I will seek it out.  Infighting with amusing insights, I gather -  and one of our locals in the background of one scene.  Lots of poultry.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:19

Caro - I wonder if there is a relationship between the duck book, and "H is for Hawk". One minor point the author missed - all other domestic ducks are mallard derived and do speak duck. Muscovies don't. They squeak, they hiss, they stand facing each other and bob their heads, but duck they definitely do NOT speak!
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 13:18

Am I missing anything? Just moved house plus a few other things have been keeping me off the airwaves of late ...

Anyway, as a gesture of thanksgiving for everything having ticked over in my abscess let's all have an always welcome reminder of Peter Skellern's vicar from the early 80s ... (the episode of Happy Endings when the BBC were coming to film the church choir).

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 18:34

If that tick is still ticking over in that abscess of yours nordmann then I'd recommend a tequila slammer. You can try drowning the tick in neat tequila, use the lemon as an antiseptic for the bite and then the salt to dry out the wound. If that doesn't work just enjoy a shot. Welcome back!
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 19:15

Evening all! No, I haven't been infirm or sulking but my machine has. However, after its stay in hospital it appears to be functioning properly again.

Now, are we all prepared for the upcoming festivities? Any trees up yet? Or 6' inflatable Santas adorning the garden? Are the pressies bought and wrapped? No, neither are mine but I see that Aldi have a special Christmas range for the pets. Including drinks!

Pawsecco

And Bottom Sniffer Beer.

cat Cheers
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 20:52

Christmas, ferval? I haven't got time to celebrate a birth; I am too busy going to funerals or finding reasons not to.  Had a phone call from my sister this morning and was just wondering who didn't know I was cared for at that time of the day when she said my aunt's husband had died.  He was 90, so I suppose that is a good age but there is a problem when one of a couple that age dies what will happen to the other.

Gil, I read somewhere that muscovies weren't really ducks at all.  But this one speaks to Hannah and holds philosophical discussions with her.  I have suddenly been reminded of the song "Be kind to your web-footed friends cos a duck may be somebody's mother", though I was singing it as "lover"!. That was probably more in keeping with the story in the book.   

Nordmann, hope the house-shifting went easily.  We are in the process of building a new house and have been for about a year now, no digns yet of even the foundations being laid.  Sad
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 22:49

It's not just ducks, Caro (although recently "they" have decided that muscovies are closer to the Anatidae than previously thought) spare a thought for these chaps.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4AgPSjzXkw
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 08:40

I'll not be around after this weekend - off on my Christmas hols. Am now panicking about the snow forecast for this weekend: will I get trapped in a 2cm. drift on the M4 and miss my flight?

Happy Whatever to all at Res His. Be good, and don't get ticked off by the Boss - and please make sure our beloved site is still here in 2018! Smile   Cheers

(What's that fella pointing at?)
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 09:13

Have a nice holiday Temp! cat
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 09:38

Have a nice Christmas, Temp:

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 09:45

I'm worried about possible snowfall (would look good if not TOO deep) as I'm Guard 1 on the Santa Specials at Welshpool on Sunday. Keeping all below my eyes crossed ...
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 10:06

It'll be great fun, Gil:

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 14:51

It will soon by time for:

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 16:07

@Triceratops wrote:
It'll be great fun, Gil:

Oh yes - provided I can get there! It's the drive I'm worried bout.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 16:15

Never fear, Sir Gritalot will be on the case;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 21:09

@Temperance wrote:
I'll not be around after this weekend - off on my Christmas hols. Am now panicking about the snow forecast for this weekend: will I get trapped in a 2cm. drift on the M4 and miss my flight?
Dear Temperance have a nice holiday, wherever you land.
Holidays are welcome alternances of daily life.
Enjoy you overthere and see you next year.
A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you in advance.
And all the best wishes for you from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 21:23

I see Zwarte Piet has, once again, inexplicably failed to carry you off to Spain, Paul! Smile
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 07 Dec 2017, 23:10

I see Zwarte Piet has, once again, inexplicably failed to carry you off to Spain, Paul! Smile

Gil, yes already more than five years, normally in January to Tenerife, but in the meantime two years without kidney dialysis, one year with, and now since 13 May a transplant kidney and well with it...but some incovenients...due to the anti rejection pills the immune reaction is lower thus less sun for danger of skin cancer...but with a factor thirty...and not too much sun...perhaps next year or January 2019...

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 09 Dec 2017, 05:20

I don't know about the Factor 30, Paul - there was a Consumer study on sunscreens here recently and nearly all of them did not meet what they said was in their product.

I was with my dil when she Skyped her mother in mid-Wales today (close to Welshpool) and there was a dusting of snow on the ground, which made driving a bit dicey.  She said heavier snow was forecast for Monday.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 09 Dec 2017, 19:16

@Caro wrote:
I don't know about the Factor 30, Paul - there was a Consumer study on sunscreens here recently and nearly all of them did not meet what they said was in their product.

I was with my dil when she Skyped her mother in mid-Wales today (close to Welshpool) and there was a dusting of snow on the ground, which made driving a bit dicey.  She said heavier snow was forecast for Monday.

Caro thanks for the information. And yes the grand-daughter said to take a renowend brand and perhaps for the heavy sun factor 50.

They forecast in The Netherands snow of more than an inch in the South West, that means our Belgian North-West, that's our coast and here around Bruges...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 09 Dec 2017, 22:49

It's supposed to start snowing again here in the next hour or two. Most of the trip should be OK if I take the slightly longer route (motorway instead of cross-country) but the last few miles form Welshpool to llanfair look hairy. Local website just put out a plea for 4x4 drivers to take the nurses into work tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Yesterday at 21:26

Gil,

"Local website just put out a plea for 4x4 drivers to take the nurses into work tomorrow."

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Yesterday at 23:19

Well, they did try to run at least some Santas today - but without me. In one of the villages en route, the "main road" was completely blocked and the General Manager told me not to attempt to get in, so I went back to bed at 7 when I'd normally set off, and slept through till 10 to 10. As I've been suffering from an industrial grade cold, the extra kip was mighty welcome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Tumbleweed Suite-