A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 30 Dec 2017, 09:30

Happy New Year all and each.

I was wondering about historical conspiracy theories as opposed to those currently in YouTube.  Where did the theory that either Margaret Beaufort or Henry Tudor made the princes in the tower disappear come from [though MB was under house arrest at the time and HT in France]?  Was it current when the princes vanished?

I can think of the allegation that James II's son by Mary of Modena was smuggled into the birthing room in a warming pan.  Would they have called conspiracy theories rumours back then?  I know Master Wobbleweapon had a character called Rumour in on of the Henry plays [IV part 2?]
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 30 Dec 2017, 17:26

@LadyinRetirement wrote:

I was wondering about historical conspiracy theories as opposed to those currently in YouTube.  Where did the theory that either Margaret Beaufort or Henry Tudor made the princes in the tower disappear come from [though MB was under house arrest at the time and HT in France]?  Was it current when the princes vanished?

I can think of the allegation that James II's son by Mary of Modena was smuggled into the birthing room in a warming pan.  Would they have called conspiracy theories rumours back then?  I know Master Wobbleweapon had a character called Rumour in on of the Henry plays [IV part 2?]

Lady,

that is one of these "endless" ones, as "knew Roosevelt about Pearl Harbor in advance?" or "the twin tower disaster orchestrated by the FBI or was it the CIA?" or "the Kennedy murder"

Where is our Minette BTW? Has anyone  a link to her?

Somewhere I wished it already to you all, but here again:

Kind regards to everyone from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 31 Dec 2017, 22:36

As AD v 2017 staggers towards its demise, may I wish one and all a much improved user experience with v 2018 of AD?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 03 Jan 2018, 08:22

Another yuletide over (almost - the kitchens are staying open slightly longer this year) and a week or so amongst the confused, bewildered, morally ambiguous and less fortunate members of our modern society, for whom the spectre of Christmas comes around all too often for their own sanity's sake. But enough of my religious co-volunteers - who were actually a fine bunch this year without a bishop to guide them and therefore everything in fact went swimmingly.  

We had only one serious incident when, early on Christmas Eve, a small crowd of clients who had not heard of our relocation this year turned up at the bishop's gaff as normal and set up camp outside. What's a poor bish to do at Christmas when confronted with a bunch of spontaneously assembled needle-swapping derelicts outside his lovely mansion? That most Christian of actions, of course. He called the authorities and threatened to have them arrested (this lad really needs a crash course in irony). The cops were cool about it though - they good-humouredly and generously ferried the poor buggers over to us in three squad cars and a black maria, causing someone to remark that if they had been operating around the Bethlehem area on night duty about two thousand years ago the whole history of the world might well have turned out rather different.

For future reference, and as partial proof of an old axiom - never place devout Catholics and die-hard Methodists in charge of broth-cooking, or indeed any operation in a kitchen which involves transubstantiation of food. They have completely incompatible mentalities when it comes to method (as one would expect from the latter group) and also when it comes to the potentially supernal properties of natural foodstuffs and condiments (as one would expect from the former group). Under Lutheran supervision however they managed to begrudgingly reconcile their approaches somewhat - therein must lie some kind of lesson - and once we Humanists joined up they all settled their differences completely anyway and found concorde and harmony in dishing out obvious advice and superfluous instructions to our little minority.

No deaths or births this year, at least on the premises. We also had two paramedics on standby this year for the other stuff and this worked amazingly well - why did we never think of this before? Saved us a fortune in taxi fares. The food was good too - all the supermarket chains here got involved and even voluntarily coordinated volumes and deliveries between themselves, which at the very least cut out a lot of potential theological disagreement amongst the broth-cookers.

All in all a good one. I reckon my last (I am declaring my theological instruction complete) - though I may consider switching to client status next time round. At least I know all the rude versions of the carols now!

Happy 2018 to one and all ...
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 03 Jan 2018, 11:25

Thanks for that Yule-tide tale Nordmann, it made me chuckle.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 03 Jan 2018, 21:36

I only know the first ten verses of "The marquis of Beaulieu", no other obscene carols, I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 03 Jan 2018, 22:14

@Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
I only know the first ten verses of "The marquis of Beaulieu", no other obscene carols, I'm afraid.

Sorry Gil and the others for not contributing further. Just finished some messages on the origin of european feudalism on Historum and Passion Histoire:
http://historum.com/european-history/132866-germanic-influence-feudalism-2.html
http://passion-histoire.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=40480

Kind regards to all from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 05 Jan 2018, 22:18

Sorry again Meles meles and Gilgamesh...
Late today on the computer and then the rest of the evening on Historum with this thread
http://historum.com/european-history/132866-germanic-influence-feudalism-2.html
Some interesting views in the thread...
And now too late to start something "coherent" Wink here

Kind regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 06 Jan 2018, 21:32

@Temperance wrote:
Quote :
The golliwog actually doesn't make me smile - not after my experiences in the Eastern Cape. Tourists usually go to the more expensive and exclusive Cape Town area, so I saw - and heard - things which, frankly, horrified me. It is not a happy country. I may start a Boer War thread. Funnily enough, the black people I spoke to were very warm and friendly about us awful Brits - but some other (white) people were not. But perhaps I won't start a thread; maybe tomorrow I'll just add something on Priscilla's old colonial topic.

EDIT: This sounds a miserable post - not meant to be, as I did find the R.S.A. an extremely interesting place and I had a great holiday. The beaches were breathtakingly beautiful. Shame about the sharks. And I didn't like the puff adder I saw very much either. pale

Temperance my dear, where are you by the way?

Promised to wait for you until you were back from your journey...about the human head transplant (and now it seems that it has to be body transplant?) I wanted to add it to your Body-brain- mind/spirit/soul thread, where we discussed this subject in depth, but perhaps it will be better to start a new thread as I want also to add the killer robots and all that.
And as first-course (I sought first the word that we use in our dialect: "voorspijs" (forefood) to translate in English, but it simply seems to not exist in Dutch, even not on internet, and the right word is as in English "voorgerecht") to the ethics of that operation...I read it in Dutch in a scientific monthly that I subscribed to
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/human-head-transplant/
And the about us:
http://www.iflscience.com/team/
And further:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4624364/Man-undergo-head-transplant-gives-hope-surgery.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/head-transplant-surgery-sergio-canavero-body-medical-reaction-criticism-real-a8061011.html

But now back to South Africa...
Temperance for fear to lose my message here...I will go further in addendum...

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 06 Jan 2018, 22:28

Addendum to the previous message.

Temperance,

"The golliwog actually doesn't make me smile - not after my experiences in the Eastern Cape. Tourists usually go to the more expensive and exclusive Cape Town area, so I saw - and heard - things which, frankly, horrified me. It is not a happy country. I may start a Boer War thread. Funnily enough, the black people I spoke to were very warm and friendly about us awful Brits - but some other (white) people were not. But perhaps I won't start a thread; maybe tomorrow I'll just add something on Priscilla's old colonial topic."

My experiences from South Africa on a trip with my father in a Dutch speaking group (I think it was in 1985). We landed on a Sunday in Johannesburg and I remember we walked in the afternoon in the city alone! (they said later that Johannesburg was one of the most dangerous cities in the world, although from my experience is in my eyes Detroit much more dangerous in the inner city). On the trip we were separated from the group, because we had no special pass for the "thuisland" (I guess it was Swaziland). We were dropped on a small airfield where we could hire a car. I recall that I had no traveller cheques enough to pay for the caution, but the (white) lady had perhaps compassion with me and the amount was well she said. Had to travel then a nearly thousand kilometer around Swaziland to join again with our group...and right stearing and a lefthand gearbox...and a Volkswagen Golf...
And yes the black people were very warm...as an example...I went for petrol and after filling I wanted to start again...but he car wouldn't start. I turned around the car and heard some noice from the motor...now I didn't understand it at all...then came a friendly man and said to me don't worry it is the electrical engine of the ventilator to cool the motor, when it is out of service...and if you can't start, we give you a push, it is propably dirt in the carburator...and after the push all well again...
But yes as you say not a happy country...the after effects of the apartheid were still there, at least in that time...and I had the impression that the black people were more friendly to the English people than to the Afrikaans speaking population. And yes it is so difficult because we as Dutch speaking were spoken to by Afrikaans speaking Zuid Afrikaanders. Our guide for instance was white and speaking Afrikaans to us, which I have to say we understood easy. And don't say now it are always the Dutch...they started also in the later US in Nieuw Amsterdam...it was even a Walloon who bought Manhattan from the Indians...and they were even in Australia and New Zealand before the English...
No I met a white Afrikaander who said to me: now we, the average whites (not the former elite) are now the new niggers overhere. I heard later that many Whites, who were formerly in good wages government jobs, were now many times without work because of the cheap competition of the Black labourers.
Even an English speaking white authochtone was whining to me about the dangerous trains, better to drive by car and even that...but when I was in the US they said that the commuters were as dangerous as for instance in SA...

Temperance I let you on that, perhaps we can it discussing further tomorrow...

As usual kind regards from your dedicated Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 07 Jan 2018, 20:08

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
Concerning AIS this young person explains it well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vDVUPjBJiM
In answer to:
"Gilgamesh,

I prepared already in mind some elaborated answer to your SF story.
Elaborated I would say as in our (in my eyes!) interesting discussion between the body-brain-mind, spirit, soul of Temperance and all that stuff of mine...
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net/t1143-plato-augustine-and-sticking-to-your-diet

OOPS: nearing midnight near Bruges, not that far from the English Channel on the European peninsula, I have to stop the argumentation...I will instead "bombard" you tomorrow with the "deepest stirrings of my soul" (de diepste roerselen van mijn ziel)...

Hmm, Gilgamesh,

I am not sure anymore, if I can bring this heavy stuff in the environment of this nice café...?
Perhaps, better to wait till Temperance returns because she is my partner in this brainy "circumnavigations"...

Has LiR's link didn't work I searched...

Best that there were subtitles otherwise my mind would boggle, it boggles already with subtitles...and I would already point to with the SF film of Gilgamesh...is that sex status that important...just some hormones...it's the mind/spirit/soul that counts...also in my head transplant thread...it's again the mind that counts...in the case of a new head on another body...will the mind of that new head control the body...or will there be an interaction between the body and the mind?

Kind regards to Lir, Gilgamesh and Temperance from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 07 Jan 2018, 20:52

@nordmann wrote:

We had only one serious incident when, early on Christmas Eve, a small crowd of clients who had not heard of our relocation this year turned up at the bishop's gaff as normal and set up camp outside. What's a poor bish to do at Christmas when confronted with a bunch of spontaneously assembled needle-swapping derelicts outside his lovely mansion? That most Christian of actions, of course. He called the authorities and threatened to have them arrested (this lad really needs a crash course in irony). The cops were cool about it though - they good-humouredly and generously ferried the poor buggers over to us in three squad cars and a black maria, causing someone to remark that if they had been operating around the Bethlehem area on night duty about two thousand years ago the whole history of the world might well have turned out rather different.

nordmann,

you British related ones, use many times terms of which we continentals have never heard from...
As for instance: a black maria
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/black_maria
And now I see it is US orginated...excuses...

"causing someone to remark that if they had been operating around the Bethlehem area on night duty about two thousand years ago the whole history of the world might well have turned out rather different."

nordmann, I don't quite understand the picture of the good-humoured police moving the poor buggers to a "real multicultural?" environment in comparison with your sentence.

If you mean that the Bethlehem story had not better existed...?

I said it in Priscilla's "Benefits of religion" thread that religion was already present from the dawn of humankind and it was perhaps till recently part of our mind approach...and if among the Abrahamic religions the Christian one hadn't existed, it would probably have been another...perhaps worser or better in benefits than the Christian one...
And to add to Priscilla's thread again:
As the emerging of religions (religions in the broad sense) seems to be unavoidable seen the developping of the human mind during history, it is normal that, as in each human interaction, there are benefits and disadvantages, as in the human relations there is good and bad behaviour...? The last one: good and bad have we already discussed in depth on this forum...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 08:21

WAY too much theology for the bar, Paul. The only Belgian theological input welcome in our recreational space is anything metaphysically or otherwise related to Westvleteren 12 (which I highly recommend), or indeed any other Trappist low-lands low-life (but not low-alcohol) alcohol.

I know it's early, but ...

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:43

@nordmann wrote:
WAY too much theology for the bar, Paul.

But, one is forced to admit, such interesting theology in your original Yuletime message to your members, nordmann - really. I have been mulling it over for the past few days, believe it - or anything else for that matter - or not.

I've been given a very good book for Christmas - The Daily Stoic - 366(sic) Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance and the Art of Living, put together by Ryan Holiday. Today's thought is this from Seneca:

We must give up many things to which we are addicted, considering them to be good. Otherwise, courage will vanish, which should continually test itself. Greatness of soul will be lost, which can't stand out unless it disdains as petty what the mob regards as most desirable.

Seneca -  Moral Letters, 74.12b-13.

I thought Seneca enjoyed a drink or two, but have no idea what he thought of "religion"?

Unlike the Bishop of Oslo - whom you make sound (this year and last) like a character straight out of Chaucer - irony is not, I hope, lost on me. Your Christmas Day spent doing Good Works v. my Christmas Day spent sipping champagne (albeit fake and only one free glass) on a Boeing 747, gaily racking up my carbon footprint total - oh heck - as noted above, much to mull over there. I am suitably abashed - well, a bit abashed.

Bu enough of such guilty musings - this really is far too much theology/philosophy for the Bar, or anywhere else for that matter. Folk don't want such stuff.

Paul - I'm recovering from Aussie 'flu, so apologies that I can't talk much about South Africa or anything else coherently at the moment. It's a nasty bug, that robs one of the will to live, let alone post. The Daily Mail has helpfully published a Map of Doom for us all here in the UK: oddly enough, Devon and Cornwall - remote parts of our island - have been very badly hit, with Plymouth designated a "hot spot" for the virus. Just takes one family visitor sneezing in the House of Fraser store in Plymouth on 23rd December, I suppose, and the next thing even the remote farms on Dartmoor have someone sick on Christmas Day. How do these bugs get about so swiftly - even in rural backwaters? I blame the Amazon delivery chaps. The City of London, on the other hand, has had no cases - presumably because all the offices within the Mile have been deserted over the Festive Bug Season - no one actually lives there. Made me think a thread on Various Plagues and the Reportings Thereof could be interesting. I know the statistics of the gradual increases of incidences of the Plague in London make chilling but fascinating reading.

You're All Going To Die - Sucking Orange Strepsils Is Of No Earthly Use.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 19:31

@nordmann wrote:
WAY too much theology for the bar, Paul. The only Belgian theological input welcome in our recreational space is anything metaphysically or otherwise related to Westvleteren 12 (which I highly recommend), or indeed any other Trappist low-lands low-life (but not low-alcohol) alcohol.

I know it's early, but ...

Yes nordmann early in the morning, for me better in the afternoon, but still in the evening at 20h20 local time I can afford one...and at the same time in Oslo from far a warm cheers on our luck in the new year...

Your Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 19:55

Dear Temperance thanks for the sign of life and I hope for a quick recovery, not to participate again on this board Wink , but for your own wellness...health is the most important matter for every human.

"far too much theology/philosophy for the Bar, or anywhere else for that matter. Folk don't want such stuff."
Temperance,
"anywhere else for that matter. Folk don't want such stuff."
if you mean our little group of ten regulars (it is nearly blog), I want such stuff, that means then already 10%, and I am nearly sure that to be honest our dear nordmann likes also to discuss an itsy-bitsy (it seems to come from Hungarian) such stuff...that's already 20%...and a true democarcy looks also for its minorities...

With my hope on a speedy recovery of your health, from the Low Lands, your Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 20:00

@PaulRyckier wrote:
... to be honest our dear nordmann likes also to discuss an itsy-bitsy (it seems to come from Hungarian) such stuff...

Yes, but not at the bar, Paul. The loo (when it's not occupied by pandas) is always available for that sort of thing.

Itsy-bitsy, if it comes from Hungary, comes from very small English-speaking Hungarians who have problems pronouncing "little bit". But that's one for the Magyars to sort out (in the loo, I hope).
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 20:09

nordmann!,

I had it in good faith! from this link...don't say now: are that the right sources?...and where is the "about us" of the site?...or is this too heavy stuff for the café and to be discussed in the loo Wink...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 20:10

OOPS in my haste I forgot to give the link:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=itsy-bitsy
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 21:01

I found this hanging on the back of the gents' cubicle door ...

Etymology of itsy-bitsy if it's not Hungarian (or Swahili for that matter)

I found the following in the ladies' loo (one gets much more erudite graffiti there, I find);

The most likely explanation is that Hungarian borrowed the term "itty-bitty" semi-phonetically from English and then loaned it back as a completely nonsense but more pronounceable term in Hungarian (where "ici pici" means something like "your little pictures") but which even stout Magyars now based in the English-speaking USA had nevertheless adopted semantically as meaning the same as that which small English children with partially developed vocabulary facilities had traditionally struggled to impart for many years beforehand (even Jane Austen apparently).
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 22:15

@nordmann wrote:
I found this hanging on the back of the gents' cubicle door ...

Etymology of itsy-bitsy if it's not Hungarian (or Swahili for that matter)

I found the following in the ladies' loo (one gets much more erudite graffiti there, I find);

The most likely explanation is that Hungarian borrowed the term "itty-bitty" semi-phonetically from English and then loaned it back as a completely nonsense but more pronounceable term in Hungarian (where "ici pici" means something like "your little pictures") but which even stout Magyars now based in the English-speaking USA had nevertheless adopted semantically as meaning the same as that which small English children with partially developed vocabulary facilities had traditionally struggled to impart for many years beforehand (even Jane Austen apparently).

nordmann, as ever I bow for your more in depth research...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 22:51

@nordmann wrote:
stout Magyars

The Szent András Brewery in Szarvas produces a commendable range of the bottled black stuff.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:32

@nordmann wrote:

The loo (when it's not occupied by pandas) is always available for that sort of thing.

That explains all the half-eaten bamboo sandwiches, the well-(false)thumbed copies of 'Bare-Bear' magazine - with black and white pictures - and the cryptic graffito: eats shoots and leaves.

I'd blamed the merkins.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 12:04

You can buy bamboo material though you may know that.  I managed to make some bamboo/cotton/lycra leggings that actually fit - some lycra leggings I made were too loose.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 17:54

BTW where is everybody? Even Nielsen not seen. Temperance, Ferval, my dear Gilgamesh, Triceratops?
The "café" is that lonely. It becomes really a tumbleweed suite... Sad
I miss you all...

From Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 22:01

I've been busy organising to ensure we lose 4 by-elections - all caused by 1 man's death. He was County Councillor, District ditto, and on two parish councils. You may well not see much of me for the next month - elections are on 8/2/18.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 22:20

I've been busy organising to ensure we lose 4 by-elections - all caused by 1 man's death. He was County Councillor, District ditto, and on two parish councils. You may well not see much of me for the next month - elections are on 8/2/18.

Sorry Gil, I wasn't aware that....
And nevertheless happy that you are still member of our blog...

Your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 23:15

@PaulRyckier wrote:

Your friend Paul.
Aagh! It's all gone italic on me!

Paul - one of the candidates is a lady of Belgian extraction. Despite the fact she has lived here, and has been married to an Englishman, for over 2o years, she was told that there was "no certainty" that she would be able to remain once the UK leaves the EU. Much against her will, she has now become Naturalised. Now she is half Belgian ,and Half British. I have asked her if she will sell me the unused half of her Belgian citizenship .....
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 11 Jan 2018, 13:22

I post from work and we're getting the place redecorated, so everything is a bit topsy-turvy at the moment. It'll be another couple of weeks before things get back to normal(or for what passes as normal in this place.)
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 11 Jan 2018, 13:36

"Normal" Ah yes, I've heard the term before. No personal non-mathematical and non-chemical experience of it though - and even in the latter case, more often decinormal was the rule.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 12 Jan 2018, 19:59

I recall my mother thinking I -and a friend - were far from normal when we spent a weekend watching TV and knitting a full English breakfast for a charity auction - served on a crocheted plate. Trying seriously to work out a way of doing a knitted dollop of baked beans brought on the 'normal' remark Deciding that beans were not traditional was our way out - should you be tempted to try similar. We did not attend the auction in case anyone asked who on earth had made it. Who ever paid £25 for it was not quite normal either, I suppose.

I could send directions but knitted grilled mushrooms takes skill.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 12 Jan 2018, 20:42

I can't knit anything more complex (nor less useful) than a dishcloth.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 14 Jan 2018, 20:02

I see Nielsen signed in earlier, so perhaps he is not too poorly. Hope that is the case. But ferval seems to have disappeared. Not even the resurrection of the Religion Benefits thread has annoyed her sufficiently for a reply! Hope she is OK.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 14 Jan 2018, 20:22

@Temperance wrote:
I see Nielsen signed in earlier, so perhaps he is not too poorly. Hope that is the case. But ferval seems to have disappeared. Not even the resurrection of the Religion Benefits thread has annoyed her sufficiently for a reply! Hope she is OK.

Temperance,

the last time he wrote something was to me on 30 December...and he said on Jiglu if he wasn't able to write himself that he would let news via his nepfhew...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 14 Jan 2018, 20:58

@PaulRyckier wrote:

Your friend Paul.
Aagh! It's all gone italic on me!

Paul - one of the candidates is a lady of Belgian extraction. Despite the fact she has lived here, and has been married to an Englishman, for over 2o years, she was told that there was "no certainty" that she would be able to remain once the UK leaves the EU. Much against her will, she has now become Naturalised. Now she is half Belgian ,and Half British. I have asked her if she will sell me the unused half of her Belgian citizenship .....

Gil,

I forgot...if you meet the lady of Belgian extraction: "doe haar de complimenten van  mij"/ "Salue la de ma part"

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 15 Jan 2018, 17:01

To Neilson - Good to see you recorded as being on site today. Per. We read that you have been ill - not sure if the comfort- or threat - of tender nun's nursing care in Denmark brought about an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 17 Jan 2018, 13:35

A Cetiosaurus hitches a lift;

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 07:40

I'll echo Priscilla's glad words on Nielsen's return.  Trike's posting is witty.  For my part I've had the sling taken off and have been told to practise lifting light [but not heavy] things.  I also start physio next week.  I could have started at 8.30 today but I was scared in case there was more snow and ice [actually it's been very rainy this morning but I didn't know that when I was making the appointment. The break is still painful but I've been told it is healing - I need to build up strength and flexibility really.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 10:18

Thank you for your kind words Priscilla and LadyinRetirement and others. 
I may not have seen other words, so it's not deliberate rudeness on my side if I don't reply.

As this is  the place it is, I'd like to offer you a drink, what's your pleasure, ladies and others?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 14:11

Mine's anything with a dash of something, if that's ok, thanks.

I hope you weren't feeling too poorly - like this poor bastard (recognise anyone?) ...
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 15:57

I'm off to a political meeting later, at a pub, of course, one that does a rather decent laagered lager, so I'll take a Green Monkey with you with the greatest pleasure!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 16:47

I'll have something strong, dark, with a good head and body ... and that comes in pints! Rolling Eyes  And to drink a glass of wine.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 16:52

Hopefully this place has been re-stocked as well as dusted since the last party.
MM, would a pied-noir and a pinot noir be satisfying?

Last edited by Nielsen on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 17:00

Tout à fait: the second nicely aged ... the first not so much.

... and good to see that your wit is as sharp as ever Per.

Chapeau! Smile
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 19:00

Priscilla - I'll hand over the cash.

Last edited by Temperance on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 22:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 22:08

@Nielsen wrote:
Thank you for your kind words Priscilla and LadyinRetirement and others. 
I may not have seen other words, so it's not deliberate rudeness on my side if I don't reply.

As this is  the place it is, I'd like to offer you a drink, what's your pleasure, ladies and others?

So glad to see you back Nielsen. Hope for a quick recovery.

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 23:22

Thanks, Temps - hand it over - this does not guarantee  my total silence on the subject of your choice of entertainment of a weekend. Going by coach are you? There might be singing on the way back - even dancing in the aisle. Probably more fun than Gil's political meeting in a pub.

I'll stick to the vintage port, Per. Thank you. My young grandson found a bottle at my place which was 10 years old when bought and now, 15 years on  it might be drinkable. Grandson may go far - or not. I do not know what he was doing delving deeply into that cupboard. Perhaps I ought not have bought 2 very young lads a pool table for Christmas; I didn't have normal grandmas either.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:36

You even get Strictly in Heaven. Here are the celestial professional dancers.

No fake tan up there, though.

PS No, we are not going "in a coach". It hasn't come to that yet. I shall be zooming back up the M5 in my little Polo, terrorising all those Audi bullies.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:59

Hope you are much better now, Per.

I see Ferval is back as well.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:20

How very touching to see I have been missed, thanks folks. I really must change the email address that I'm registered to, it's an old one which I rarely check (usually full of offers of medication for body parts which I do not have) so I didn't see the notifications of pms.

It's been chaotic here since before Christmas, the usual hassle, stress and exhaustion and then some distressing news from the in-laws, delivered on Hogmanay of all times. After that was a slew of birthdays to navigate and all played out on a background of really crappy weather. But I haven't had 'flu, not yet anyway. Things should calm down now if only the sodding plumber who is meant to be coming today would just arrive.

Temp, I was thinking of you this week while listening to the latest series of 'How to Survive the Roman Empire by Pliny the Yoiunger and Me' on Radio 4. It was the Stoic in the sewers that did it. And the Christ follower.

Now away to catch up on the discussions............
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:56

Glad all absent ones are back with us, at least for the time being. Res His gets more like Game of Thrones all the time. Just as you think a character has left the show for good, up he or she pops again.

Think it's time for me to take a break now, to be honest. Somehow don't feel welcome here anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Tumbleweed Suite-