A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Reins of Power - The Art of Horse Dancing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Reins of Power - The Art of Horse Dancing   Sun 28 Jan 2018, 20:24

Here's another nice Lucy Worsley documentary, a bit like the 'Dancing Cheek to Cheek' one, but this time it's about dancing horses, manège, dressage, jousting and equestrianism.

It's all quite light and none too heavy but like all Lucy Worsley documentaries there are lots of interesting snippets of info. For instance I didn't know that horse dressage basically arose in the 17th century from the increasing need for horse manoeverability on the battlefield, thereby replacing the sport of jousting which was all about simple nerve and charging power. And while I knew Charles II was keen on horse racing, 'the sport of Kings', I didn't realise he promoted it as a important means to improve the stock of British cavalry horses that had been greatly depleted during the Civil War. (Interesting also to learn that Lucy did her PhD on William Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, and the dressage school he established at Bolsover Castle).

And if you don't like Lucy Worsley then you can always concentrate on the her riding instructor, Ben Atkinson, and his muscular thighs squeezed into skin-tight jeans: "Don't do anything that I don't tell you to!" ...  No sir, I would never. [sigh]
Back to top Go down

Reins of Power - The Art of Horse Dancing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Sport and Pastimes-