A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Modern assault rifles paraded with historical army uniforms.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
normanhurst
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae

PostSubject: Modern assault rifles paraded with historical army uniforms.   Thu 30 Aug 2012, 14:02

Any military types out there…

All this year we’ve seen plenty of pageantry on the TV, what with the jubilee, the royal wedding, the thingy, and the other one, and then the Olympics etc… we’re all used to seeing the guards parading up and down outside Buck house and Windsor castle dressed in magnificent displays of historical army uniforms. The commentary at such events take great pains to tell the onlookers that this regiment was founded on such and such a date and differs from another regiment because the tunic buttons are grouped in threes, or two’s… it’s all very interesting… but it never ceases to amaze me that they all parade with the latest issue modern assault rifle… surely, to be authentic an old Brown Bess or some other piece of historical weaponry would be more appropriate for authenticity. Why do they do that.?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Modern assault rifles paraded with historical army uniforms.   Fri 31 Aug 2012, 08:11

I don't know the answer to this question but I have a horrible suspicion that it is to be found in a "health & safety gone mad" mentality - and that the men can now only carry firearms for which they have attended the relevant number of hours' assembly, maintenance and use course (with diploma E455.0 of course to verify this), and that since all pre EU-Reg Nr 800.1 (paragraph C) weapons did not conform to these standards they are now designated dangerously defunct hardware.

Though I assume the brass will say that it is of course due to soldiers on duty being at all times equipped for immediate action, regardless of the duty they are performing at the time. Yeah, right.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Modern assault rifles paraded with historical army uniforms.   Fri 31 Aug 2012, 08:27

But surely it is because the red coats and bearskins etc are not historic costumes. They are the current full dress uniform (or whatever it is properly called) of the regiments and so are completely compatible with modern weaponry when used ceremonially. Trooping the Colour, the ceremony of the Keys at the Tower etc might be based on historic necessity blended with pageantry, but they are certainly not historical re-enactments.
Back to top Go down

Modern assault rifles paraded with historical army uniforms.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: War and Conflict-