A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 06 Jan 2015, 17:53

Odd thing earlier : got an email telling me there was a new post on Daily Rave. Went and had a look - no new post.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 06 Jan 2015, 18:49

My Beep Point of View post re Rumours that made mention of this site was put into the Padded cell by he who knows best. I wonder where this one will go?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 07 Jan 2015, 14:53

Specially for Parallax Smile

A basic chatbox is now available at the bottom of the main page. But be warned - talking to yourself is an early sign of madness!
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 07 Jan 2015, 15:38

@nordmann wrote:
Specially for Parallax Smile

A basic chatbox is now available at the bottom of the main page. But be warned - talking to yourself is an early sign of madness!
So it is fairly low in the hierarchy of symptoms many of us (myself especially) already display. Basketball
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 21:07

Nordmann,

I don't know if it is my "preferences", which are wrong, but if I check a message on the messageboard it is always starting with the first message and I have to click then on the last page to see the latest message. On all the other messageboards that I visit it is always the last page of a thread which is shown...
Isn't that possible overhere? It is so much easier...

Kind regards and with esteem, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 12 Mar 2015, 22:34

Excuses Nordmann I see now that all the same utilities are present as on the other boards. Even on the main page, the several "pages" are indicated and you can tap on the last page to start directly at the end... Embarassed

Kind regards and with esteem, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 07 Jul 2015, 21:12

There is something going on this evening.
After pushing the send message button, it takes some ten minutes and then it says there is in the meantime sent another message. Do you want to modify or confirm. If you confirm than your message appear, but in the meantime your message is posted ten minutes ago and you have two same messages with ten minutes difference Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Nervous Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:52

Something was going slow, Paul. Probably me, most likely.

Anyway everything looks better now and I have deleted any duplicate posts from you that I could see.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 03 Sep 2015, 20:32

You might not have been aware but there has been a limit of 50 to the number of private messages which could be stored in one's inbox (and also as sent items in one's outbox). The limit in both cases has now been set to 200.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 04 Sep 2015, 11:04

Perhaps our new limit should be used to send pm's to all those who are not here these days and whose contribution is missed, mm? Where is Trike?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 04 Sep 2015, 21:41

Let's all join hands and contact the living  Cheers
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 13 Oct 2015, 19:02

Some people have been expressing disquiet lately that they have received warnings from their web reputation applications when entering the site. I think I have found the culprit, namely that over the years we have managed to post URLs (or linked to pictures) that referenced enough dodgy sites according to the global databases which are used by these applications to mark us out as potential phishers or spammers (I ask you!). Or as McAfee word it:

Online Affiliations examines how aggressively the site tries to get you to go to other sites that we've flagged with red verdicts. It is a very common practice on the Internet for suspicious sites to have many close associates with other suspicious sites. The primary purpose of these 'feeder' sites is to get you to visit the suspicious site. A site can receive a red warning if, for example, it links too aggressively to other red sites. In effect, a site can become 'red by association' due to the nature of its relationship to red flagged domains.

I have posted an official request through McAfee for our site to be reclassified, a review which might take several days they tell me. Hopefully the "red by association" tag will be removed. In the meantime we can only hope for the best. I can actually stop people linking to pictures and posting URLs but I feel it would seriously detract from the experience of using the forum as intended. Hopefully it won't come to that.

While we wait however I'd advise everyone to use a little caution when selecting other sites to link to either by URL or pictures when posting.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 13 Oct 2015, 20:12

Wow, that was quick!

I have received confirmation that we're back to being classified as a forum/bulletin board with no red flags anymore. We'll see now if that helps things get back to normal.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 13 Oct 2015, 23:55

As someone who got a beware message from my protection software I can say that on entering the ResHistorica site this time I no longer get a message that Res Historica is a naughty site.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 14 Oct 2015, 21:35

"Curiouser and curiouser" said Alice.  Last night - clear of warnings - this morning warning was back and I shot of an email to Nordmann, tonight it's clear again.  I did a Bullguard scan on my computer and it said no malware etc on the computer.  Of course the virus makers get more sneaky all the time.  I sometimes wonder why the heck people who have the brains to make up malware etc don't use their intelligence for something of benefit to humankind.  Anyway at the moment (21.24 British Summer Time - just) on 14.10.2015 I am not getting a warning from Bullguard (my antivirus etc software) when I click on this site.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 17 Oct 2015, 14:24

Nordmann -  I was in Exeter library yesterday (public one - not the University library) and, Res His addict as I am, I tried to access the site to see how you and Priscilla were getting on in your Socratic dialogue. My attempt was blocked with all the dire warning stuff. Thought you ought to know. My Bullguard thing at home warned me off Res His too, but I have overridden their block. It's odd no one is around - it can't just be that our endless religious discussions are putting everyone off posting - er - can it?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 17 Oct 2015, 21:02

Thanks for this feedback, it really is appreciated. I have found another reputation monitor, Trend Micro, which has actually tagged this site as a botnet central server, which amazed me given that it is a hosted site. However this was even worse than the last misclassification since it effectively is a stronger level than merely suspicious and on that basis would be blocked by certain products rather than just meriting a warning. I have requested this to be changed too.

I still maintain that the confusion was caused by the sheer number of URL links we have accommodated here over the years and that these monitors are increasingly playing it safe these days by punishing any such elements as potential phishing, even if they represent a tiny minority of the links in question. Again, I just have to hope that common sense prevails with the reclassification process and we can get things back to normal. The alternatives open to me are rather limited and not ones I would like to take regarding ending linking completely - it has been an invaluable aid to varied, entertaining and open discussion here since the beginning and it would be a shame to lose the capability just to avoid censure by some rather neurotic algorithms employed by these agencies who monitor web activity.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 00:38

I'll pass this on from Forumotion (our site's hosts);

Dear members,

A Scheduled maintenance will temporarily affect our service on October 20, around 9am (UTC+2). Some forums won't be available (maintenance pages, slowdowns ...)

Normally, it should be very short (between 15 and 30 minutes). Of course, we'll provide as much information as possible on the support and our social networks.

Thanks for your understanding Very good

Best regards
Forumotion

On the other matter I have found that at least one and probably several e-mail spammers had impersonated our site's URL in the recent past which would explain some of the crap. Our URL was put on a few blacklists (not many) but each time associated with IP addresses that have no relation to the site whatsoever. These have also been requested by me to be rectified where I have found they occurred.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 01:58

Was fine a few ours ago on my desktop computer. Now  the  malicious site warning site warning showed  up  while I'm on the laptop.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:47

Thanks LiR. If you could tell me which product issued the warning (Chrome, SiteAdvisor, BullDog etc) it would help as then I can try to pinpoint who I have to approach for a reassessment.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 11:26

Chrome is the browser - but warning came from the protective software, Bullguard  which showed up just now as I entered the site.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 12:06

For what it's worth I usually access this site via Chrome using McAfee as the overall protection (a paid-for professional contract, not a freeby, as I have PCs in all the guest rooms), and I have never had a problem with this site, ..... but, just sometimes and it is very rarely, when I use Firefox or Microsoft Explorer (when I cannot get a connection with Chrome I sometimes try the others ... I have a satellite connection so it all depends on the prevailing weather conditions!), then, and only then do I occasionally get security alerts about Res His. Otherwise for me it's always been squeaky clean.

But what are these other (dodgey?) sites we've all been linking to? Most links people have made are to wiki, the BBC or well-established newspapers, or similar regular sources: government, museums, universities, the gutenberg project etc ... or to similar history fora ... or to personal image-hosting sites like photobucket etc. This site has been remarkably free from any trolls or spammers, no?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 16:17

The URL links are one thing that is checked. However the URLs associated with pictures embedded in our posts are another, and that is an area where maybe we havn't been so clever in the past.

But I am now thinking that we have maybe a "false member" in our midst who has joined just to use the site as a cover for spamming. A purge of inactive members will take place shortly, the extent of the purge depending on the results of my inquiries to those who run the monitoring databases. They don't give away their methods but "spamming" as an accuastion against us is popping up in their answers with a little too high a frequency.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 16:59

Hello

As I say for me it seems to be pot luck - sometimes the warnings are there; sometimes they aren't.

I tried to paste a screenshot of the warnings I received (in Google via Chrome - though on the laptop I use Firefox usually and I have seen warnings using Firefox too).  You won't need to be geniuses (though I'm not saying you aren't thus cerebrally gifted) to realise I didn't succeed.  Bullguard is paid for software.  I use google a lot for searching - occasionally yahoo, but not that often.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 18 Oct 2015, 21:04

I thought I'd tracked down the databases used by BullGuard. In which case a request to have the warning status amended is being processed and awaiting action. I spent a few hours yesterday trying to identify as many of these as I could (there are literally hundreds) and found four or five where the site's URL had been flagged, though never with the correct IP address, which is why I suspect some level of impersonation or hiding behind our URL by a member with e-mail capability. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:56

I have deactivated and/or deleted members who have not posted messages either at all or since over a year ago (with some exceptions).
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 19 Oct 2015, 13:07

Just as a matter of interest how many was that? And how many would now be our "regular" membership (including those that don't post very often but still log in occasionally)?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 19 Oct 2015, 13:18

I'm not sure what the total was but it's now 49 members, all of whom have submitted at least one post since they joined.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 19 Oct 2015, 13:23

I think it was around the 70 mark, so about 20 or 21 (non) members have been eliminated.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 19 Oct 2015, 13:27

Sounds right. I have changed the enrollment rules so that a person, after joining, has to send at least one post before they get access to send PMs, e-mails etc. It should be obvious then if someone joins who has other things on their mind than who done the princes in etc.

We had an Indian guy at one point who definitely fitted the bill (and was deleted and blocked) but it's hard to keep track of non.participating members.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 19 Oct 2015, 13:33

Thanks for that Nordmann and Trike ... it was just for interest and the numbers do largely back up my gut feeling. So we're still a bit short of the ideal for a typical human "tribe", often given as something like 100 or 150 persons.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:19

There are huge delays on all forumotion sites today, including ours - I assume due to the server maintenance they talked about. Though if you got so far as to read this maybe they're already over ...
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 20 Oct 2015, 13:10

Well, I received after having just closed and rebooted the pc, so perhaps now all's well at t'mill.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 21 Oct 2015, 18:32

Sorry Nielsen and Nordmann, but I've just entered using Yahoo (having looked at Google's updated bumf regarding privacy more than once and STILL getting told I need to look at it I'm trying another search engine) and according to that there are still rogues and varmints at Res Historica.  Now I know Res Historica isn't populated by rogues and varmints - for goodness sake I came here for over two years without problems.  I said to another poster "off list" as it were I wondered if fans of a certain writer were targeting us.  I didn't want to give anyone ideas which is why I posted off-list but think of ripping bodices.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 22 Oct 2015, 07:55

Hi LiR. Yahoo itself won't block sites as far as I know. However the search results it throws up can be assessed by another product or browser add-on and even blocked by these. It is this product I need to know the name of so I can see which international databases are in use by it and therefore which I might have to approach with a request for reassessment.

As far as I can see there are really only a handful of these databases that matter and the rest tend to follow their lead, so maybe in time it will sort itself out. On the big ones that I have identified Res Historica has been switched to safe or "unassessed" and hopefully this will filter out to the others. But tracking down others which might still have the site flagged is not easy (they make it not easy on purpose).
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:09

I use a well known commercial security program and never have any problems.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 24 Oct 2015, 14:59

Today 1458 hrs on 24.10.15 (via Yahoo search engine on Chrome) on desktop computer no problem shown this time.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:37

How does one alter a thread title? I have looked, but cannot see anything appropriate to click on in order to effect a change.

I would like to remove the full stop after "Masks.", as it appears on my thread heading. It (the full stop) is annoying me dreadfully.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:40

Can you not see the title as an editable (as opposed to edible) field if you go back to re-edit your opening post? I thought this was standard for everyone with no special privileges required, simply that the original poster is the only one who can do it.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:43

Ah, of course!

I have now removed the offending dot.

Thank you, sir.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:46

Lady Macbeth would have been so jealous of you!

LM facing a similar challenge to Temp earlier ...
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:36

Is everything working properly down in the cellar, on about half of the occasions I come on here since yesterday it's been taking an age for the site to download and then for pages to open. The rest of the time everything works as normal. All the other sites I've accessed are fine. Also, I've just had a post 'timed out' and that's never happened before.

Ta.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:42

That's been happening to me, too. I kept getting "page can't be displayed" message over the weekend, but only for this site. There was no problem with other sites.

Seems OK when the Boss is around, only when he goes home.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:46

I haven't been to the cellar in yonks - last I knew it was stuffed full of dead (and stuffed) avians, ping-pong ball firing pandas, obsolete medieval artillery and a dead uncle.

However following a brief discussion with a neighbouring tenant whose cellar abuts ours and who experienced the same problem with access lately, apparently this is what they got in reply from the landlord's agent upon complaining (Temp will like this one):

This problem is coming from the anti-flood system. Sometimes, the system "overprotects" your forum and blocks the sending message for few minutes. For the moment, we cannot do anything because we prefer to let this system (made to protect your forum) rather than removing the protection. We are working on improving the "anti-flood" system.
Thanks for your understanding
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 16:33

So it's the puddle at my front door that's responsible, the one that threatens to come in under the door? Och well, let's hope it dries up soon.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 09:47

I had trouble accessing the site last night and this morning.

it's OK again now - obviously, but whole thing seems very precarious these days.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 13:47

I will pay more attention to the basement than hitherto - sorry.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Aediles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 16:23

Well,
 it seems that I have no problems opening the door to what you call the basement.

Maybe that is because I just moved into the neighbourhood and this is the first time I wanted to peek behind the door seeing what was actually going on during  daytime.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 17:03

Poor Nordmann, relegated to the basement once again... we'll get you a cat flap....  Smile

PS I've had absolutely not problems with this site at all. Everything working as it should.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 20:10

No! a cat flap could have all kinds of unpleasant results!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dapSswWTQ
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 Feb 2016, 13:49

As it's always interesting to see what brings people hither, and since we haven't done it in a while, here's the latest list from Google of the most recent nuggets of idle curiosity which have resulted in a plethora of poor misguided souls washing up on these hallowed shores and hanging round long enough to register a palpable hit amongst the Googlarithmic machinations ...

(I'm a trifle worried about the Catholic High School one - my lawyers have been informed)

res historica
res histortca
res hostorica
res histori ca
where did the golden ratio originate
ancient romans stockings
brilliant headlines
captain hurricane valiant comic
cave art horse tattoo
creamola foam
does accuracy in archaeological tv matter?
dr philippa gregory plastic surgery
drone spare parts
enid blyton magazine
enumerate pythagoras theory about what is man
famous rebuttals
flower of craven
fokker d.vii aces
group captain george sammy sampson
history of purse nets
how do they build harbours
jack voigt mugshot
jane austen and duberly
kms blucher
knitting madonna lorenzetti
lake nemi ships documentary
meaning of “na lochlainnigh”
money cowrie
nicholas 2 denied asylum by george 5
old fashioned savory clootie dumpling
oldest nursery rhymes
pinter "the gutters are clogged" interpretation
pipeline under the ocean
plant explorers 19th century women
pointe ballet feet damage
recruitment posters ww1
refusal to give tsar refuge
relief of ladysmith
res hisorica
reshistorica
rest harrow astor
richard iii on history forum
roman ghosts
royal engineers ghent oil pipeline 1944
the catholic high school m nordmann
the sack of magdeburg
thomas edison costume
to the mayor and bailiffs of york, the king, detesting the abominable smell abounding in the said city more than in any other city of the realm from dung and manure and other filth and dirt wherewith the streets and lanes are filled and obstructed, and wishing to provide for the protection of the health of the inhabitants and of those coming to the present parliament, orders them to cause all the streets and lanes of the city to be cleansed from such filth
weald clay sandstones depositional environment
whats the answer to the mystery who killed william rufus
why didn't england save russian royal family
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-