A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 05 May 2017, 21:34

Yes, it's gone now and I agree that Recent Activity is a better heading. You're doing a grand job.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 06 May 2017, 11:30

Hi folks - sorry for the delay in replying, the gorgeous May sunshine has kept me outside for days so I've only just noticed all this. Avatar fixed!
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 06 May 2017, 15:00

I have the nice little "s" now and thankfully no alarming red triangles and exclamation marks which would really have me panicking. But unfortunately I still can't see the picture of nordmann in a grass skirt anywhere. Still just X marks the spot - very disappointing.

Was in Exeter library this morning and thought I would see if the site is now unblocked. It is not. We are still described as being "malicious" - most disconcerting.

I know David Starkey famously said the collective noun for historians is "a malice of historians", but really...
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 06 May 2017, 15:27

Besides browsers like Chrome insisting on SSL there are a myriad pieces of so-called "internet security" software which play by their own rules, even with SSL in use (all part of the scam). The library in Exeter could well have automatically black-listed the URL when it didn't jump through all their security hoops before. There is little that can be done about that (publicly accessed PCs also tend to operate on a white-listing basis which means that well know social media sites are deemed "ok" but anything else with logon/input capability, and especially built in re-directs like the app I had to run a Google search, is deemed suspect). All part of the game.

If they're nice they will allow a re-evaluation of their black-list periodically - that's a pretty standard affair. If they're subscribers to a third party black-list it simply takes longer. I check regularly that we haven't ended up on one of these (it happens now and again) and subscribe with a pretty-please to excuse us again. They normally do, but it takes several days at best, sometimes longer.

Starkey can speak! Nasty piece of work (says he maliciously).
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 07 May 2017, 09:14

I nearly posted this on the Great Historical Captions thread!

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 07 May 2017, 10:10

Speaking of that thread, it's the only one that is having any problems since the start of the rejuvenation process (very slow to load and then not all the links working) so might it be sensible to close it and start a new one?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 07 May 2017, 10:39

What is taking longer is the page, not the whole thread, so there is no advantage in starting a new thread.

Linking directly to images hosted by another site will now take longer. If that site is one geared for hosting images and is also SSL certified then they will load at the same rate as before. Otherwise one must be simply more patient than before.

Also, anyone posting such an image should preview their post first. If it takes a wee while then bear in mind that this wee while will be added to the total page load time once it's posted. If it fails to display when using Chrome then it will fail to display for all Chrome users (or anyone using any product that checks SSL certs).
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 May 2017, 09:08

The Search function:

Following from ferval's earlier observation that "normal" searches don't work and the need to get rid of the little app I had set up to do Google searches within Res Historica I decided I'd better see if I could find a way to search the site.

In fact unbeknownst to me Forumotion had also decided Google searches were a good option (their own one is crappy) and have incorporated the facility into the search function by default. If you click on the "Search" option at the top of the page, and then go into "Advanced search" you'll see they have provided a button to execute the search within our site using the Google engine.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 May 2017, 17:42

An email from ferval saying "Res His Down"  winged its way into my inbox at 16.43: I saw it at about 17.00. I tried to access this site and did so without any difficuty. Ferval said that she and Trike have met up over at Historum, and she asked me to pass the message on.

She probably has emailed you, nordmann, but thought, just in case, that I should let you know. We don't want Trike and ferv left languishing in the outer darkness.

EDIT: Just had another email from ferv (I had notified her that I could both access and post on the site at around 5.45pm. She is still locked out.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 May 2017, 19:10

I've received no mails. And I can't see why anyone should be locked out. I'll check with Forumotion if there are any known problems today. If you're in touch again see if you can get some hard info from ferv about exactly what kind of error is reported, if any.

EDIT: I see several ISPs in the UK couldn't wait for May to get her finger out and have done their own hard Brexit today DownDetector.uk. If they're Virigin Media then it might well explain it.

EDIT 2: BT customers are also reporting DNS problems today (BT can't associate URLs with some IP addresses). They're working on it apparently.

EDIT 3: Talk-Talk also reporting DNS issues. Looks like Britain has certainly decided to go solo - and typically they've obviously decided to start with the uppity Scots.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 May 2017, 20:16

Here are latest messages. I'll PM you with ferv's email address, nordmann - she has given permission:

If I type in the address I get:

This site cannot be reached, reshistorica.historyboard.net refused to connect.

Trike has been getting:

Page cannot be displayed.

I can't access it on my Kindle or my phone either.

Give nordmann my email address if that helps and tell him he can get Trike on Historum.

Have the others been able to get in?

You make an excellent go-between, thanks

Hi Val,

I have tried to copy and paste nord’s reply from the Technical Assistance thread, but it won’t “take”. Apparently there have been problems all over today – nothing to do with Res His. Nord gave this link:

DownDetector.UK

He said to tell you to give me any “hard facts” about any error reported so he can investigate further if necessary.

As usual I don’t know what he’s on about, but you might.

Temp.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 May 2017, 20:41

I've sent a mail to the victim of corporate stupidity with some advice regarding how to survive in post-brexit Britain, at least when it comes to DNS servers.

It'll be food parcels next ....
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 08:07

I forgot to mention to also clear your cache, ferval, when I sent you the mail yesterday.

MOBILE TELEPHONE BROWSING OF RES HISTORICA:
Something I hadn't looked at in yonks and it had become rather buggy, so I've now cleaned this up as well. Those of you who are irritated by having to scroll left and right all the time when you look at the desktop version in mobile browsers may wish to avail of the mobile version - which automatically fits to your screen and is much easier to read.

THINGS YOU MUST DO:
1. Open the desktop version in your browser as normal.
2. While the site is open go into your browser settings and turn off the one that says "Run Java scripts automatically" or similar wording. This will disable java just for Res Historica.
3. At this point you can choose one of two methods to switch displays. On our main desktop page, only when viewed via a mobile device or similar, you will find an option "Mobile version" right at the bottom of the page over to the right. Click on this. Alternatively your browser may also have detected the option automatically and will have helpfully provided, under settings, an option to "Turn Desktop on/off". Turn it off.

What you'll get is a basic version of our main page in easy to read format. From this page you can navigate down through the categories and threads, all in easy to read format too. What you won't get is the option to log on, access to the "Recent activity" page, or any other page which utilises java scripting to display or function. If you want these however you can always switch back to desktop mode temporarily using the switches mentioned above, do whatever you need to do, and then switch back.

Depending on whether the site switches to new programmes and structure in the future, and dependent on testing, the plan ideally is to gradually re-introduce scripted procedures such as logon, dynamic linking, etc into the mobile version too. At the moment it's at its most basic functional level. Pictures will display, but not YouTube links, for example.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 09:39

Waves madly - I'm back, folks, many, many thanks to the great and omniscient N.

Now, what were we saying.............
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 10:00

In the words of General Douglas McArthur:

"I have returned"

Thanks to Ferval & Nordmann & Temp
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 10:40

All hail the mighty Google, you mean. I've been reading reports lately that a hard Brexit means the UK drops out of the EU-administered hub system whereby DNS server use is shared across the ISPs based in member states - expect more problems such as the one you encountered yesterday as the big day approaches and British ISPs try to extricate themselves from what will soon be an illegal network configuration for them. Google, whose DNS servers are always good as a fallback option, are genuinely worried the Brits will simply dump all their failover traffic onto them, and have issued a warning that access will simply be denied to them. For BT, Virgin, Talk Talk, and the rest of them to use other hosts' DNS servers will now cost them a huge amount of money - the USA, China and India are already licking their lips waiting for the glorious day. Farage was a right c**t, wasn't he?

On another issue - your latest posted picture ain't working, Trike. Since we went all SSL'ish last week we now have to be aware that any page containing what Chrome calls "mixed content" (both https and http stuff) will henceforth be automatically deemed suspect. At the moment the http elements get blocked, and at the moment this only happens with some browsers. However as time goes on the browsers are going to get more and more ruthless. Google have stated an intention that from later this year entire pages containing mixed content will be blocked. Sites which continually offend will lose accreditation, etc etc.

So folks - if we shall continue to allow pictures in our posts please bear all this in mind. If the picture is being lifted from a non-SSL location (just http in the URL) and the site does not have a parallel SSL (https) access defined to it, then the picture will no longer display - at the moment just in certain browsers but soon in all. Use "preview" before posting to check if you're unsure. If you're using an older version of a browser this may not be obvious at all (everything is displayed without quibble) so I'm afraid you're just going to have to remember to read the URL of the site you're linking to.

Another alternative is to save the image in a photobucket type site and link to that. They're all SSL enabled these days.

At some point I'm going to have to get Google help in trawling the site and removing all http links we currently have saved. That'll be a fun day ....

Tip: If a picture doesn't display in your Chrome browser right-click on it and choose "open in a new tab". As it's not mixed content in the new tab, just the pic itself, it should be visible. ..... for now ....
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 10:54

nordmann wrote:

On another issue - your latest posted picture ain't working, Trike.

It's OK on my computer.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 10:57

Just what I was saying, Trike. Just because you can see it doesn't mean everyone can anymore - you just happen to use a browser which still doesn't care about this.

If it's not from an SSL-enabled site anyone using Chrome is already out of the loop. Other browsers are also changing to enforce this rule.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 11:22

Is that better? Picture is now from an https source.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 11:29

If you mean the Falklands one, it's fine on here in chrome.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 May 2017, 11:40

Luvvily jubbily. Remember folks, if it don't 'ave an 'S in it, it's a mess inn'it!
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 12:23

LiR is having the same DNS problems and I'm helping her with it.

For those of you as yet unaffected by this problem it might be as well to read this article How To Use Google DNS or Open DNS servers to speed up web browsing. You're all going to need to do it soon, I reckon, if you're in the UK or using a UK-based ISP.

British Internet Service Providers, in advance of Brexit, have started closing access to DNS hubs to which they had free access under EU membership - the bulk of these in Germany and Ireland, though that's actually immaterial. Use of these servers is negotiated in term contracts, normally of about five years or so as this is the average life of such a resource and renewal for EU members is being done as we speak. If British ISPs commit to another five years now they will be hit with a massive surcharge once Brexit comes into effect, hard or soft doesn't matter. What has happened in the last few days therefore was that several providers tried rather sneakily to direct their DNS requests by default to open servers or Google servers, in an exercise they called a "dry run" in advance of Brexit but which in fact they obviously intended to use henceforth. The owners of these were not impressed and denied access immediately. Their next option was to petition BT (BT basically owns the internet in Britain and everyone else pays them to use their infrastructure etc) to provide UK-based DNS servers. BT are obliged to do this - except that they too were availing of the EU hub and now are basically reduced to using two servers which previously served only as traffic overflow resources and are located, I believe, in bonny Scotland. So now the whole of the UK, whenever a browser needs to translate a site name into an actual address, is trying to hit these poor wee machines with as much traffic as up to last week had been spread around about a thousand such resources run by the EU. Ferval, if you hear a big bang emanating from some secret location up in the highlands in the next few days you'll know what's happened.

Anyway, as an individual you are under no obligation to direct your internet traffic, and especially DNS requests, to any server your ISP chose. You pay your ISP for gateway access to hubs, nothing else. The article above explains how you can therefore reconfigure your machine's settings so that you decide where you want DNS requests to be resolved. Whether you choose Google or Open you will actually find that both are in fact quicker and more dependable than what you're probably used to.

Of course what's bound to happen down the line is that these global resources will eventually be taken out of general access - especially if they're suddenly thrashed by several million Brits all at once (North Koreans are already excluded). When that happens there is already a queue of countries jostling to get to the front as alternative hub providers for the country that unilaterally decided to opt out of the real world without really thinking the whole thing through. It'll cost a bit (check ISP prices in other countries who also pay through the nose for the privilege and have opted out of communal solutions - North Korea, for example). This extra cost demand will be arriving through a letterbox near you soon.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 15:31

Thanks for explaining that Nordmann. I had been wondering why I seemed to be immune from any of these problems ... with the exception of during yesterday's thunderstorm, everything is working perfectly. But lo, it seems that this is probably because my internet connection is provided, direct via satellite, by EuropaSat (they've only just taken over my old provider Vivéole), and EuropaSat, so I now gather, is a company (one of just two) currently licensed by the EU to provide standard Europe-wide, satellite-based communications (although with certain restrictions, to Ukraine, Belarus, Russia,Turkey, etc. and now it seems also to Brexit Britain). I'm rather surprised, given their anti-Brexit stance, that the UK's Guardian newspaper for one, hasn't yet picked up on this issue.

It brings a whole new and subtle meaning to the old phrase: "Fog in the Channel: Europe cut off".

Last edited by Meles meles on Thu 11 May 2017, 15:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 15:45

Oh, for goodness' sake - we are not quite North Korea yet.

I have absolutely no problems with my connection, and, if I use Chrome, I can even see pictures, even if I am not allowed to copy them. It's not all doom and gloom here, you know.

However, Priscilla has been cut off and cannot read any of the above. No use her asking me - I haven't a clue what any of this is about.

I'm going back to reading - a book, that is - about history.

Last edited by Temperance on Thu 11 May 2017, 15:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 15:49

My internet has been cutting out spasmodically over the last couple of days.

Then again, it has done that in the past.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 15:55

You maybe aren't as immune to it as you might think, MM. Using Google Analytics I can see the geographical area a user's ISP has assigned them when they're logged onto the site or present as a guest. Lately you're down as "Manchester", and not the one in New Hampshire! But the beauty of EuropaSat is they can choose to report any location they like - it doesn't necessarily indicate the source of the traffic as much as it does which hub relay they're using at any given moment.

The ISPs are playing this whole mess down - it actually betrays a few sharp practices they all engage in whereby they pretend to be administrating every component of "the web" and can assure you they therefore can vouch for the security protocols in use at each step of the process. The reality is that there is no such security - which is a valid concept only at the two extreme ends of the whole shebang, namely your own modem/router and as applies to this site by me and its hosts. Everything else claimed as security is pure bullshit, and people will know this if it becomes common knowledge how much they all use diverse global hub resources without sometimes even knowing where they are or who runs them.

DNS is the great achilles heel in the internet. It's absolutely vital if we're to avoid all having to use IP addresses alone as ways of identifying websites, and yet it functions only if someone takes the trouble and responsibility of administering them efficiently. The EU solution was to pool them all by statute, as have other areas such as North America, China/Asia, Australasia etc, and it's been doing this since 1998. Britain, outside of that scheme once it falls on its sword, has really no Plan B except to pay to stay in the loop.

We precipitated the problem for our users when we changed to SSL. Now we're dependent on all the DNS servers updating this info accordingly. And in Britain, currently undergoing a little DNS accessibility crisis, people are depending on cached DNS info. Elements of this cache are on your own machine, others are stored by the ISPs. It's the latter who haven't updated in a timely way, and now there's a big question mark over when they can again.

This is where I would normally slip in a "septic isle" reference, but I don't think it's wise to risk offending North Korea's new bedfellows.

If you can send the article I posted a link to above to Priscilla, Temp, maybe someone in her house can then help her? Otherwise she just has to wait and hope.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 16:08

nordmann wrote:
You maybe aren't as immune to it as you might think, MM. Using Google Analytics I can see the geographical area a user's ISP has assigned them when they're logged onto the site or present as a guest. Lately you're down as "Manchester" ...

Manchester! ... but that's 'oop norf', and I'm definitely 'darn saarf' ... or even 'au midi', as we prefer to say here. I'm shocked I tells yer ... that's the last time I so much as glance at the Manchester Guardian's home page! But mea culpa. Although in my defence I just wanted to read Rhik Samadder's latest Inspect a Gadget' article, and that was only for research you understand.

But at least I wasn't traced to the Daily Mail's heartlands of sodding Chipbury, or bloody buggery Bognor, ... or indeed even to the Guardian's real home turf of Islington.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 16:44

i'm intrigued by the thought of these two overloaded servers in a wee but n' ben somewhere in a misty glen, could it possibly be the Broons'? Should I tell oor Nicola, she's my MSP after all, to rally the clans, march up there  and hold the UK's internet traffic hostage until they accede to all our demands?

Or should we send wee Eck and big Tam? That should ensure immediate surrender.

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 17:32

nordmann wrote:

]If you can send the article I posted a link to above to Priscilla, Temp, maybe someone in her house can then help her? Otherwise she just has to wait and hope.

I should like to make it quite clear that Priscilla has not asked me to ask you for help: I just thought you should be aware that she, like ferval, Trike and LiR, has been having trouble accessing the site, and cannot, of course, read anything you have posted. I mentioned something in the Bar, but thought you might not have seen my message there.

I sent her the above quote from your post an hour or so ago, and have told her that if she so wishes I shall copy the link for her. So far I have not received a reply. If I do so later on today, and anything needs sending here on her behalf, of course I'll oblige - otherwise I'll keep out of this. I should not have said anything in the first place.

The road to hell - and possibly to North Korea - is paved with good intentions.

Let us all "wait and hope" that Priscilla finds her way back.

Your septic contributor,

Temp.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 May 2017, 20:34

Thanks for sending the link. She has my e-mail too if she wants my help.

I've been doing some DNS testing of the site from different global locations with "trace route" commands to see where the break is. It's BT, alright. Maybe ferval can confirm if there's now a little mushroom cloud hanging over Culloden.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 13 May 2017, 19:27

Currently I can't access Res Hist on the desktop (Vista) or on the pad (Apple). I can, however, gain access via the phone (Nokia/Microsoft). I'll have a look at the settings on the desktop and the pad and see if I can find a fix or a patch.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 13 May 2017, 19:37

Your phone is using a different Internet Service Provider and therefore is very likely using DNS servers which correctly redirect traffic to the correct IP address. You can choose to send DNS requests from any device to a public DNS server of your choice. For stability and dependability I recommend you adjust your network IPv4 settings on your desktop/pad to nominate Google's servers (instead of "automatically assigned" which therefore is likely using BT servers). Their addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (primary and secondary).

You can also ensure that your locally cached DNS info is not the problem by forcing your machine to make new inquiries regarding DNS address resolutions. On a Windows machine this is done by opening the command "CMD" prompt and entering the command ipconfig /dnsflush. This wipes all previously used DNS info from the machine and ensures a query to a DNS server is sent in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 13 May 2017, 19:56

Thanks for that nordmann. That's saved me from what could have been a lot of trial and error. Phone, pad and desktop all now pinged and zinging and Res Hist compatible. Woo-hoo!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 13 May 2017, 20:37

Good to hear - you don't fancy dropping in on Lir and Priscilla and showing them how too? Smile
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 14 May 2017, 19:38

I did not use the above help  - as sent, and thank you for that - - but fiddled about elsewhere within the settings and it seems to have worked. Now I can snoop again at will.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 14 May 2017, 20:21

Great! Perhaps LiR is having the same problem then - maybe you can say what you fiddled with. It might help her too.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 14 May 2017, 23:53

Would that I could explain - much as I cook, garden or create anything, it's by instinct and I cannot explain that either only that I trust it.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:51

Has anyone heard from nordmann recently? He hasn't posted or even logged in for well over a fortnite.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 18:29

That's not good, I hope everything is ok.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 29 Jun 2017, 09:59

Photobucket, the site I have always used to externally host images for display here, no longer allows such 3rd party hosting (possibly they never did and only now have picked up on it) ... and I do not intend to fork out 400€ just to post pictures on res-his of cats and rice pudding. Anyway that will explain why none of my images now show, for instance in yesterday's 'dish of the day' posting, as I used to use photobucket for all images I posted here, except maybe for a few trivial posts.

Does anyone know any other sites that do permit 3rd party hosting, or a way around it? Otherwise how to post images here ... other than using the re-his image hosting option? ... or sticking to fairly stable sources for images such a wiki?

What does everyone else do?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 29 Jun 2017, 11:56

This site is recommended quite a lot, MM. I haven't used it so I can't personally comment.

https://postimage.io/
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 29 Jun 2017, 12:00

Beat me to it, Ferval.
Again, I've never used it but it is the site being recommended on Mustardland.
................................................................................

Photobucket. I've got an account I'd forgotten all about. Never used it in years.

............................................................................................................
Most of my pics are now either wiki or pinterest as both these sites are https
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 29 Jun 2017, 13:48

Thanks for the suggestions ... I've just registered with postimage and reloaded all the most recent 'dish of the day' pics ... so easy, so much quicker and simpler than photobucket, and no adverts and video clips!

Thankfully I'd archived everything so it was an easy job to relocate the relevant images, not that the the pics were lost on photobucket but it was easier to reload from my original files. And fortuitous timing too in that I'd only restarted DOTD at the beginning of June.

Very pleased with postimage ... so that's me finished with waiting and waiting on photobucket while the adverts load only for it to get hung up and have to start all over again.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 13 Jul 2017, 20:36

Not a problem with this site - but I know that some of the site regulars are knowledgeable about internet issues. I tried to sign into Skype for the first time after a long time last week (okay I'm a cheapskate I've got the free version). It said it didn't recognise my password - then when I tried to reset my password it said I had tried too many times [i thought I only tried once] and that I couldn't try for another 24 hours. I created another account and now today I get the message they don't recognise my password - then when I fill in their form with info they say I haven't given enough info - and Microsoft stopped the live email support last year. I might try ringing Microsoft tomorrow - too crea,-crackered to go through the rigmarole now but does anyone know if this is a common problem?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 14 Jul 2017, 13:21

Sorry, LiR, can't help you there, as Skype, along with Twitter and Facebook are not sites I use.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 15 Jul 2017, 17:22

Well I don't use Twitter and Facebook myself, Trike.  People I know who have children and grandchildren and even great-grandchildren scattered to the four corner of the earth say they (Twitter and Facebook)are usefull for keeping in touch with family.  I have also heard of people getting home typing "gigs" via Facebook and Twitter though I haven't myself.  I like to keep my (Pitman) shorthand up and the lady who gives the online lessons has switched over from Adobe Connect to Skype.  Adobe is better but there is a free version of Skype. I guess I'll have to try and log in when I'm not under pressure and see how I get on.  There might be something about it on YouTube - there seems to be everything on YouTube these days from reaction videos to how to sew videos - not to mention the silly illuminati videos I watched when I was convalescing.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 15 Jul 2017, 20:01

As one with family scattered across both hemispheres I use Skype, Facebook and Twitter to keep in contact as phone calls are just too expensive, although I use Twitter purely as a news feed from all my favourite news and historical/archaeological publications and I don't think I've ever written a comment on it. Facebook like Twitter are actually multipurpose, it is up to the individual to use it how they wish. Non users don't seem to realise that.

Enough digression, free Skype can be a bit cluncky LiR and I've had similar problems logging on in the past. I think I've had to change the password 4 or 5 times now, although (touch wood) I haven't had any difficulty for a while and I hope I haven't jinxed it by saying that. All I can recommend is that you persevere with it, it should settle down eventually, but searching youtube for an answer is a good idea none the less. I'll try that myself next time there is a hick-up Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 20 Jul 2017, 22:25

I managed to get into Skype today for my online class. ID, I guess you have a point about how one uses social media - I guess one can set one's privacy settings high. I did think that if I did join Facebook I could create an email address just for that - I don't want them firtling through my emails.

There can be a toxic side to Twitter though - although I quite like Game of Thrones I am quite aware that it is a show and a fantasy show at that and dragons are not real,but at one time people were sending really nasty Twitter messages to a young actor because his character stabbed a well-liked character. Fortunately this lad who was only about 16 seemed very sensible and grounded and didn't let it get to him but I couldn't help wondering why folk would send such messages on account of something that happened in fiction.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 20 Jul 2017, 22:43

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I managed to get into Skype today for my online class.  ID, I guess you have a point about how one uses social media - I guess one can set one's privacy settings high.  I did think that if I did join Facebook I could create an email address just for that - I don't want them firtling through my emails.

There can be a toxic side to Twitter though - although I quite like Game of Thrones I am quite aware that it is a show and a fantasy show at that and dragons are not real,but at one time people were sending really nasty Twitter messages to a young actor because his character stabbed a well-liked character.  Fortunately this lad who was only about 16 seemed very sensible and grounded and didn't let it get to him but I couldn't help wondering why folk would send such messages on account of something that happened in fiction.

Yes I know LIR, even my wife is angry at some "bad" personages of her "feuilleton" (series). I have to say to her it is only fiction and they have to "play"! that "bad" personage. It happened already in Belgium (and I think elsewhere too) that some "filmstars" from the series playing the "bad" one are harrassed on the street because of their role in the series...stupid people, I know, but some people aren't grown up enough to...and yes in troubled times (troubled times in reality) some people become even worser: See the BBC series "The Nazis, a Warning from History" about the tell tales? (denouncements) by common people to the Nazis about other common people. It starts by demonizing the other even in fiction to the real denouncement to the "masters"...

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 21 Jul 2017, 04:50

There are always idiots around who will abuse anything. But whether Skype, FB or Twitter there are security and privacy settings that anyone can use so they can hear from only those that they wish and the ability to block all others.  People have to request from you access to your pages, if you don't know them or don't want them included then deny access and they won't get within a stones throw. I'm very strict about that but it has served well for a lot of years now.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 21 Jul 2017, 07:44

ID, as you've posted this morning after last night's earthquake in Greece and Turkey, I take it you are alright ... I don't know how close is your island to Kos. Just what Greece doesn't need right now and at the beginning of the high tourist season too. Anyway hope all's well with you and your family.

Last edited by Meles meles on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 07:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-