A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Egg and Us

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: The Egg and Us   Fri 20 Sep 2013, 10:25

So £2 million is awarded to 6 universities to study the history of human interaction with chickens. Much - as you can imagine is being made of this in the press. At first reaction  is a skin bristle until a bit of thought is applied. I braked in when I thought back to some lengthy research I did for a book on this very issue.... keeping one's characters fed can be a trial. I use material researched in Europe by scholars of note for long lists of the movement and spread of trees and edible plants over thousands of years from origins; but chickens were not included. An in depth study might make for interesting reading - and doubtless there will be adjacent knowleedge also acquired.
It is hard for historians to justify any research expense, I guess so there will be a full throttle outburst on this one - but I don't know enough to make proper comment. (Though I did  observe that both York and Leicester Unversities will benefit; room for expanding Dick 3 joke material here if ever.)
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Egg and Us   Sun 22 Sep 2013, 14:39

No opinion on this matter, ferv? I would be interested in what you think - you might even get on a list of people going to Ethiopia in search of this  knowledge.

After all an Ethiopian friend lef his homeland  home to do  his Phd - watching and recording activity in a rookery in NE Scotland for 2 years or more - he told us many hilarious  local jokes on this circumstance not quite pc for the most part  - not that he was bothered any.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Egg and Us   Sun 22 Sep 2013, 17:35

Sounds like a tasty bit of research to me P. here's some more information for fellow fanciers.  http://www.chickenco-op.net/
Back to top Go down

The Egg and Us

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Civilisation and Community-