A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Daily Rave

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 16 Feb 2017, 18:25

The phone was always in the freezing cold hall, wasn't it, often on a special table. Vintage telephone tables are apparently collectors' pieces now.

This is a really horrible one, but still probably worth a few bob. I suppose someone will sand it down, re-paint it and put some trendy fabric on the cushions. But those legs are dreadful! I like the spaces for the phone directories though. Remember them?

This one is rather trendier: I actually quite like it (but not the seat which is a foul colour and appears to be vinyl - yuk). Very early 60s, I suppose.

I read somewhere that Paul Getty (not sure which one) had pay phones installed in all guest bedrooms. Bit mean, but then again probably very wise.

Last edited by Temperance on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 21:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 16 Feb 2017, 18:31

Even ruder, ID. The people I mentioned text each other in the group - rather like passing notes at junior school.
MM, we loved our small town operator. In the early days of more owning them, she used to tell us where people were if we called...... "Try The Ship, dear,...no, I'll try for you. They go there on Fridays.'

or "About time you called - your mother is getting in a state....'

Oh, those good old days when communities were just that.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 16 Feb 2017, 18:36

Blush - A few years back I asked my daughter if there were similar directories of e-mail addresses. After a frowning blank stare, she said, "Don't be silly."
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 16 Feb 2017, 20:16

Priscilla and others,

as you seem to know how the connection was done, for instance with this model that we owned in my grandmother's house and which they used for calls to customers while it was a fishshop. I have a vague rememberance that they learned me to phone. For a nowadays scription I want to know how it worked. If I am right you had first to ring the telephoniste with turning the handle at the right side? Then you was connected with the telephoniste? And then you had to say to the telephoniste which number you wanted? I have seen in the films that the telephonistes had a big board with all the connections on it. Did they connect your number with the number of destiny then? If some one can enlighten me on the exact procedure as I have to describe it as authentically as possible. I also want to know but that I will seek elsewhere if the telephone still worked during the German invasion in Belgium on 10 May 1940? As the telephone centrale had to be (wo)manned? I still remember that during the Russian revolution in St. Petersbourg the telephone still worked for a whole time even during the uprising and the executions in the streets...

Kind regards and with thanks in advance, Paul.

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 16 Feb 2017, 22:42

I'm sure Priscilla will be able to help, Paul. In fact I've found a picture of her in the act of connecting.

Our phone number in the 1950s was Pollok 4027, today I can't even recall my children's land line numbers, I just press the relevant button. However I have an elderly smart phone (tiny and according to the kids, embarrassingly old fashioned) that rarely has mobile data enabled but is occasionally used on the free wi-fi in pubs so it can be handy for checking transport times, looking at maps or googling for factual answers to resolve arguments.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 16 Feb 2017, 23:27

Nah ferv, not me - but mother would probably have approved had I ever presented myself like that. Find a pic of someone in scruffy navy blue sailing clothes streaked with mud and filthy shoes. I  eventually  did do posh, smart etc especially when dress codes were formally indicated and observed but always preferred the slouch stuff.

Paul, I am not that old. We just picked up the phone and dialed 0 for the operator - and she (whichever it was)  being the local News of The World would know what time the big film started or the local bus times or if Mrs W was at the Women's Institute that night -or when it was best to phone someone or not...... a really smart phone in those days it was. Of course they also listened in so local gossip was always fresh and accurate.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:39

Invasion of the Zombies;

Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 17 Feb 2017, 13:40

Paul,

As two of my sisters-in-law worked as telephonistes at various village and small town centrals before their marriages. I did, as a snotty nosed brat watch them, and the procedure you suggest above, was how it was done then in this country.
When going outside the local central, you'd have to tell the lady-at-the-central which nearest, larger town you wanted, and then, when getting there, perhaps to be connected to another village or just the local number. 
The thing with dialling O for operator, wasn't known here, but the lady-at-the-central would generally know the numbers of the fishmonger, the grocers of the various kinds, as well as the doctor/-s, veterinarian/-s, &c., and could probably tell how their days business had been.

As a curiosum, when I served with the army in the mid-1970'es, we had field telephones working on the same principles and with some of the telephonistes just as knowledgeable ...

Kind regards to you from this part of Europe.

Edited because of additions and spelling.

Last edited by Nielsen on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 16:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 17 Feb 2017, 16:08

@Temperance wrote:
The phone was always in the freezing cold hall, wasn't it, often on a special table. Vintage telephone tables are apparently collectors' pieces now.

In my mother's house it still is. Smile  Just on a hall table and with no chair near it so you had to stand in the freezing hall as well. And was like that for years and years until we recently had to talk her into putting a chair beside the table because they're old now and just not up standing for any length of time. Silly how people can get stuck in their ways.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 17 Feb 2017, 16:18

@Priscilla wrote:
Even ruder, ID. The people I mentioned text each other in the group - rather like passing notes at junior school.
MM, we loved our small town operator. In the early days of more owning them, she used to tell us where people were if we called...... "Try The Ship, dear,...no, I'll try for you. They go there on Fridays.'

or "About time you called - your mother is getting in a state....'

Oh, those good old days when communities were just that.

I could happily snatch the phones off them and say.....right, you'll get these back at the end of the evening and not before. I've been tempted but never quite game....yet.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Mon 20 Feb 2017, 18:35

The Daily Smell reports on people whose heart rate increases if their mobile is removed  and who can be soothed when given another to hold - not their own. Much as babies are with dummies then. This, I think I shall introduce and pursue  as a conversation  set piece when meeting with intolerable behaviour from the smart phone twitchers. 
I sat for long in an unheated  car this weekend with others awaiting  the return of the shopping group who had  walked off with the only set of house keys. Everyone played with their phones until - eventually - someone realised that they could also phone the other lot to send someone back with the keys..........( Please God of all phones, bring back the Nokia 3310 soon!) I had forgotten that everyone in that family - even the smallest child had a smart phone..... and one of them, mercifully, had hers switched on and not twitching.)
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Mon 20 Feb 2017, 19:39

@Nielsen wrote:
Paul,

As two of my sisters-in-law worked as telephonistes at various village and small town centrals before their marriages. I did, as a snotty nosed brat watch them, and the procedure you suggest above, was how it was done then in this country.
When going outside the local central, you'd have to tell the lady-at-the-central which nearest, larger town you wanted, and then, when getting there, perhaps to be connected to another village or just the local number. 
The thing with dialling O for operator, wasn't known here, but the lady-at-the-central would generally know the numbers of the fishmonger, the grocers of the various kinds, as well as the doctor/-s, veterinarian/-s, &c., and could probably tell how their days business had been.

As a curiosum, when I served with the army in the mid-1970'es, we had field telephones working on the same principles and with some of the telephonistes just as knowledgeable ...

Kind regards to you from this part of Europe.

Edited because of additions and spelling.

Excuse for the delay, Nielsen.

Yes you described it exactly as  I remember it. Thank you very much for the help.

Kind regards from your Belgian friend.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Tue 21 Feb 2017, 03:52

My mobile phone (called by the American name of cell-phones here) is a Nokia , though I can't see any number on it.  I have had it the best part of 15 years; my dil found it on a beach and gave it to me.  I feel a bit guilty that we didn't hand it in to police but (a) no-one would probably claimed it anyway and (b) it would have been thrown away years ago to upgrade it. 

I was seeing just last week that people are getting sick of being eternally online and instead of smart phones 'dumb' phones are coming back!  But I have also seen that they are turning off soon G2 (whatever that means and I may have it wrong anyway) and it will be unusable.  I don't use it much but I like to have it for emergencies.  And when I'm away from home I sometimes text people on it.  (Not very efficiently.)

I remember when phoning people overseas needed booking in advance, at least at Xmas which was when most people wanted to.  It was quite a performance and we all stood round the phone to listen and had to wait for the answers from the people in Scotland.  (Which was where we mostly phoned, for my grandmother to contact her family.)

We were on a party line which meant that others could listen in, though for all the rumours, I don't remember that happening much.  You said, "Are you there?"  to check if you had been linked up.  Our ring was three shorts we were 122S or 184S when it changed, and I think there were about 6 of us sharing the line. Morse code rings were used, I am fairly sure.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 23 Mar 2017, 18:08

You've probably seen this and it's fake anyway, but nevertheless we all approve.

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 15:51

I'm always light years behind the times, but have just watched The Revenant which I earlier today fished out of Morrison's DVD bargain bin for a fiver. What an absolutely brilliant film.

So who was this Hugh Glass?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Tue 28 Mar 2017, 16:09

Yes, I really enjoyed that film as well.

Was going to see this at the weekend, but the weather was far too good to sit inside:

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 29 Mar 2017, 08:45

@Triceratops wrote:
Yes, I really enjoyed that film as well.

Well, I can't say I exactly enjoyed the film, Trike; I actually experienced it as a very distressing and difficult piece to watch. I found the contrast between the stunning beauty of the environment and the terrible, brutal, blood-soaked reality of survival in that environment quite overwhelming. A story set somewhere North of Eden perhaps?

I thought the film was full of theological themes and symbolism: the presentation of the Darwinian truth of physical survival v. the competing truth of spiritual survival was what I found brilliant. But it's quite upset me, if I am honest.

But that's probably me being stupid again - looking for "meaning" that just isn't there. (That said, there was that very strange scene in the ruined church... the father/son ideas... and the light images that kept cropping up...)
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 29 Mar 2017, 10:28

It is indeed quite visceral, Temp. Leo deserved his Oscar.

I watched this dvd yesterday evening, Burton and Speke's search for the source of the Nile:

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:40

When I was about 12 I read this:

Of the contents I recall little, it was a bit beyond me I think, but that cover illustration has stayed in my memory so clearly.

My reason to be cheerful on this miserable day is - my breakfast egg was a double yolker. I haven't seen one of those for years.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 29 Mar 2017, 12:10

@ferval wrote:
When I was about 12 I read this:
Of the contents I recall little, it was a bit beyond me I think, but that cover illustration has stayed in my memory so clearly.

My reason to be cheerful on this miserable day is - my breakfast egg was a double yolker. I haven't seen one of those for years.

I remember reading about Fawcett when I was a youngster as well. Had forgotten about him until the new film appeared.

Miserable day, Ferval. Is that the weather or this?

Theresa Mayhem
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 29 Mar 2017, 15:23

Both, Trike, both.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 30 Mar 2017, 12:47

Animals enjoying themselves:

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Tue 04 Apr 2017, 09:59

Our Father,
Who art in Hendon
Harrow Road be thy name
Thy Kingston come
Thy Wimbledon
In Erith as it is in Hendon.
Give us this day our Berkhamsted
And forgive us our Westminsters
As we forgive those who Westminster against us.
Lead us not into Temple Station
But deliver us from Ealing,
For thine is the Kingston
The Purley and the Crawley,
For Iver and Iver
Crouch End

I'd so forgotten this ... found it again when googling the book of common prayer (as one does). Genius, the late Mr Dury, pure genius!
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Tue 04 Apr 2017, 14:37

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Sun 30 Apr 2017, 21:18

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Mon 17 Jul 2017, 16:08

Sir Humphrey Appleby, one of the greatest English villains ever created, has been mentioned elsewhere today. Sir Humphrey is sadly missed. If only Nigel Hawthorne could be raised from the dead...

A Brexit Special edition of "Yes, Minister!" has been written in Sir Humphrey's honour. Here is a little bit of the script from the link given below:

Minister: So who really runs Europe?

Sir Humphrey: Another interesting question. Well done, Minister! The European Union is run on an intricate and sophisticated system based on an hierarchical structure of interlocking and overlapping jurisdictions designed to separate the powers whilst reinforcing the authority of the departments, institutions and agencies who collectively and separately control and supervise the diverse activities of the Union and its associated organisations. So Europe is not run by the president of the European Council or the Council of the European Union, but by the president of the European Commission, who is akin to prime minister of Europe because he is elected for five years and heads a cabinet government, whereas the president of the Council, on the other hand, is not elected but appointed, and presides over the meetings of the Council, which is not the cabinet.

Minister: Who are the members of the European Council?

Sir Humphrey: The European Council’s membership consists of the heads of member states while the Council of the European Union, on the other hand – which is often still referred to as the Council of Ministers – is the real voice of EU member governments, adopting EU laws and coordinating EU policies. Sometimes it is just called “the Council” in the interests of clarity. And they’re not even trying to be funny.

Minister: It’s called the Council?

Sir Humphrey: Yes – but the Council of the European Union should not be confused with the European Council nor with the Council of Europe – nor the Council of Ministers, which is also sometimes just called “the Council”, although it is not the same Council as the other Council and is in fact not an EU body at all.

Minister: It’s not that simple, is it?

Sir Humphrey: Would you like us to simplify it for you?

Minister: I would.

Sir Humphrey: In that case, just move all the paperwork that we give you from your in-tray to your out-tray. We’ll do the rest.

Minister: Can I trust you?

Sir Humphrey: Of course. We are your humble servants ...

Minister: Yes, yes! I’ve heard all that. But are you in favour of Brexit?

Sir Humphrey: That depends what it means.

Minister: Brexit means Brexit.

Sir Humphrey: Yes Minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/aug/07/yes-minister-brexit-eu-jonathan-lynn-sir-humphrey
Back to top Go down

The Daily Rave

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Eagle and Child-