A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Now you see it, now you don't

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Now you see it, now you don't   Wed 26 Mar 2014, 15:39

The Middle Ages are thought to be an age of wizards and magic. Medieval stories are filled with men like Merlin or saints who could perform incredible deeds. However, even medieval people liked the simpler magical tricks – how to make an apple roll around by itself; a dead fish to jump out of the frying pan; turn a white rose into a red one; or have a candle where the flame could not be blown out.

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/03/23/medieval-magic-tricks/

Article if full of 'how to' intructions for magic tricks, if one is into that sort of thing. I'm not usually, but I found this fascinating. How to free hands tied behind the back, to make a burning mirror, to say that towers may appear in a urinal flask  Smile , on the disappearance of a coin or dish and many more.

I hadn't realised that the history of magic tricks stretched back quite so far.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: Now you see it, now you don't   Thu 27 Mar 2014, 12:54

I suppose they are illusionists rather than purveyors of magic.  I tend to think that mediums (ones that make money from it anyway) are charlatans.  I do remember reading that one (now deceased) medium used to plant stooges in the queues before her shows (allegedly) to find out information about  members of the public coming to see her.  There is a "magic" shop in my home town.  I haven't been in and probably won't go so I don't know whether it sells "tricks" or whether it sells mumbo-jumbo.  In my youth the books of the late Dennis Wheatley were popular.  Some of his books were about black magic but I don't think he wrote from personal experience.  I didn't read any of his black magic books thought I did read a couple of his "histories" - well I'm sure I'm not the only person who read something at 14 or 15 that I wouldn't read now.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 14:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited because I had not proof read properly before and had used an inappropriate word.)
Back to top Go down

Now you see it, now you don't

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Sport and Pastimes-