A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The RIP Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Fri 04 Aug 2017, 11:32

I always heard it pronounced 'Howell' with the 'ow' as in owl. I don't speak Welsh but I know that the Welsh word for Wales is Cymru - which my mother who came from North Wales always pronounced as 'cumree'. There are different dialects in Welsh but I don't know them. Hywel Bennett was in "Eastenders" for a time as a baddy and was also in "Last of the Summer Wine" towards the end of its long run.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Fri 18 Aug 2017, 21:25

"Well, didn't he do well?" ... Bruce Forsyth dies at the good age of 89.

Like him or loath him he was an almost permanent presence, somewhere, on Saturday Night TV schedules for all of my formative years ..... and indeed well beyond too.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:40

Playboy founder, Hugh Hefner, dies aged 91. His widow, 3rd wife Crystal, is 60 years younger.

surprised he lasted that long.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Thu 28 Sep 2017, 20:31

Triceratops,

"surprised he lasted that long."

Of course it is a surprise, having had all "that work" with all those girls...
Couldn't resist Tri and it was already in my "mind" from the moment I saw the message on TV with adjacent pictures...
It seems that the continual use of the "Apparat" (Nielsen asked for the colloquial English translation from German) helps against prostate related illnesses...

Kind regards from Paul.

PS: There was a comment today that he was together with three women at the same time. Some new kind of Sultan with his harem?
PPS: the moral philosopher Wink . Degradation of the female existence, which is many times, especially nowedays, more worthier than that of men. And after all it are they, who decide to...At least in normal Western countries...
PPPS: Read once the reasons why females weren't allowed to drive in Saudi-Arabia...
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Thu 28 Sep 2017, 22:10

I hope "Heff" had a good lawyer draw up his will - I heard once that Groucho Marx put a clause in his will that if any of his beneficiaries complained about his or her share that beneficiary was to lose his/her inheritance.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Thu 09 Nov 2017, 11:00

I see that Antonio Carluccio has died ... he was always an entertaining bon viveur, cook and raconteur, and I still regularly consult two of his books: one on Italian cooking, of course, and the other on finding, identifying, preserving and cooking wild mushrooms.

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 10:22

Christine Keeler the former model at the centre of the Profumo scandal that shook the British establishment in the 1960s has just died aged 75.

Here she is (right) with Mandy Rice-Davies leaving the Old Bailey in 1963:

On a day when the Brexit secretary David Davies was forced to admit that he lied to Parliament and that the  government has not assessed the impact of leaving the EU for different sectors of the economy, and when Boris Johnson and Michael Gove can basically do and say what they like and face no consequences whatsoever, Keeler's death is a reminder of a dim and distant era when ministers who had acted inappropriately resigned or were sacked in disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 15:07

@Meles meles wrote:
Christine Keeler the former model at the centre of the Profumo scandal that shook the British establishment in the 1960s has just died aged 75.

Here she is (right) with Mandy Rice-Davies leaving the Old Bailey in 1963:

On a day when the Brexit secretary David Davies was forced to admit that he lied to Parliament and that the  government has not assessed the impact of leaving the EU for different sectors of the economy, and when Boris Johnson and Michael Gove can basically do and say what they like and face no consequences whatsoever, Keeler's death is a reminder of a dim and distant era when ministers who had acted inappropriately resigned or were sacked in disgrace.
At the time of the "affair" she was 17. Mandy was 15. Can you imagine the reaction to that today?

ps - if all ministers who acted inappropriately were sacked or had to resign, I suspect the cabinet would be markedly short of drawers.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 15:25

Rock star Johnny Hallyday, who has died at the age of 74, had phenomenal success in the French-speaking world.
The star, whose real name was Jean-Philippe Smet, sold more than 110 million records and starred in a number of films, including one directed by Jean-Luc Godard.
To mark 40 years in showbusiness, the French icon enjoyed a three-week residency at Paris's most famous venue, L'Olympia.
And he once performed before a million people in a mobile musical cavalcade down the Champs-Elysees.
The French called him "Our Johnny". Music critics called him "the French Elvis". To almost anyone else, he was the biggest rock star they'd never heard of.
(from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42249556)

Of course when they say "French" he was only half French - his father was Belgian.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 20:55

Gilgamesh,

I wanted today to point to two person sChristine Keeler and Johnny Hallyday, as that is the easier stuff on these boards... Wink
And even announce the particularity of the Belgian father Léon Smet...
And now I am beaten in the race by you both...
http://www.france24.com/en/20171206-belgium-johnny-hallydays-fatherland-mourns-lost-son

Kind regards to both of you from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 22:44

Ah, Paul, without the Belgians (Reinhardt, Brel, Hallyday) and the Bretons (Stivel, Nolwenn, Gwennyn, Tri Yann) where would the French get their music? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The RIP Thread   

Back to top Go down

The RIP Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Individuals-