A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Elephant in the Room.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The Elephant in the Room.   Mon 11 Sep 2017, 14:46

I remember a slogan in the 1980s proclaiming that Newcastle-under-Lyme was a nuclear free zone - as if it would have made any difference to an enemy though one would always hope it didn't come to that. The news does indeed make depressing viewing at present with events in North Korea, dreadful flooding in various parts of the world and the ethnic cleansing in Myanmar.

Vizzer makes a valid point about popular culture becoming increasingly influenced by large corporations. My understanding is that (I came relatively late to having internet connection in my home though I did use internet cafes before) YouTube used to be a platform for people to share information by means of videos and I have benefited from some of their "how to" videos but it seems to have become increasingly money driven. Also some years ago I signed up to a group giving information about sewing (not that I'm a prolific sewer but occasionally I have a bash not that I'm any expert) - I just wanted something I could dip into for ideas but now I get emails about online classes and how to "grow" my sewing blog - when I don't HAVE a sewing blog and have no intention of starting a sewing blog!!!)
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Elephant in the Room.   Thu 14 Sep 2017, 04:57

Temperance wrote:
There was an article in The Observer on Sunday recalling the Cold War and how Public Information films and posters gave sensible instructions and many top tips on what to do in the event of a nuclear strike.

The Government issued (was it around 1982?) guidance of a similar kind in a booklet called Protect and Survive. This, according to The Observer, is now completely out-of-date and is being revised. The updated version will give sensible advice on, among other things, showering, bathing and haircare, should one wake up one morning and notice that, inexplicably, there has been a thermonuclear explosion near one's house.

It is essential to take frequent showers, apparently, to wash away radioactive particles from the skin. It is also good to shampoo one's hair, but it is very unwise to use hair conditioner, because such stuff simply binds the deadly particles to the hair shaft. Not good.

I don't know what I'm going to do when the bomb drops: without conditioner I can't get a comb through my hair. I shall look a complete mess. I do hope the boffins at L'Oréal come up with a solution to this pretty damn quick.

I read that article in the Observer, but a lot of it didn't make much sense. How does anyone wash away radioactive particles using water that will also contain radioactive particles? Because the water will be contaminated like everything else, won't it? It can't not be.

All in all about as useless as the former advice that was put out when I was at school in the 60s, like hiding under the desk in case of nuclear strike. Both then and now it seems more about drumming up fear in the general public, rather than the assurance that they pretend.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Elephant in the Room.   Thu 14 Sep 2017, 09:35

ID wrote:
 I read that article in the Observer, but a lot of it didn't make much sense.

Very Happy Very Happy  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Elephant in the Room.   Thu 14 Sep 2017, 18:34

I'm battling with a blocked drain right now, I do hope that no-one lobs anything nasty at Coulport until it's cleared. On the other hand, a wee dose of polonium might be just the the thing to eat through the accumulated gunge.
Back to top Go down

The Elephant in the Room.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Civilisation and Community-