A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Science Fiction Space Films - old and new

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Wed 19 Nov 2014, 16:56

The lastest film gump on space travel, Interstella has not moved far forward from the older takes. I'm thinking. This one though has a go at depicting a fifth dimension......assuming that the fourth is Time which got interwoven  in this tale with the fifth. AS I recall older space fiction films did not tangle with explaining proofs and I'm not sure that the ones explained in Interstalla were right anyway. And, I'm just being curious here, would map references (given from someone to himself  from the future to the past -from the 5th dimension... yeah, it's that sort of film) would they have been in binary? I thought hexadecimal would be more economical for making marks in the dust. Unless you have seen the film this sounds like rubbish - and more so if you have, is my guess. Anyway, the human race is saved enough to be able to play baseball on a satellite station circling Saturn......oh that we should all be so lucky!
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Thu 04 Dec 2014, 11:44

I watched one (on dvd) last night Battleship which was total rubbish*
Anyone who wants to view it for themselves, tune in to Channel 4 this Saturday at 8pm.

*Entertaining rubbish though, with aliens and explosions and CGI warships
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Thu 04 Dec 2014, 13:59

@Triceratops wrote:
I watched one (on dvd) last night Battleship which was total rubbish*
Anyone who wants to view it for themselves, tune in to Channel 4 this Saturday at 8pm.

*Entertaining rubbish though, with aliens and explosions and CGI warships
Thanks for the warning. Have noted the date/time/channel combo as one to avoid at all costs.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Thu 04 Dec 2014, 14:43

The 50s classics are much better. This one, with its' quasi-military/ exploration crew, must have been an influence on Star Trek;

Leslie Nielsen in the days before Airplane and The Naked Gun.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Thu 04 Dec 2014, 15:10

The Orion test flight has been postponed for 24 hours;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30333120[/i][/b]
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Thu 04 Dec 2014, 15:24

Strange to think this is now 13, almost 14, years behind us now;

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:40

And possibly the oldest science fiction film in existence - "Le Voyage dans la Lune" by George Méliès, here in a 2010 restored version of one print that Méliès himself had hand-coloured in 1902. The restoration, performed on a badly damaged reel found in Barcelona in 1993, cost around 400,000 euros.

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Fri 05 Dec 2014, 13:58

There is a distinct similarity between Melies' Moon Creatures and HG Wells' Selenites from The First Men in the Moon published around the same time.(1901 as it transpires)

Trailer for the 1964 film, Wells, for once, did not go with the giant gun for launching a vehicle into space, instead he came up with the magical substance Cavorite;

By 1936, Wells was back with the giant gun, from Things to Come;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction Space Films - old and new   Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:54

Rod Taylor, star of The Time Machine and The Birds, (could that be classed as SF?) has died aged 84;

Back to top Go down

Science Fiction Space Films - old and new

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of expression ... :: The Arts-