A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The language of flowers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The language of flowers   Fri 08 May 2015, 20:58

I wonder about the USA - don't their currency bills say something like "Legal for all debts public and private"? Do you think a shop there would get away with refusing them? Or the UK, where the currency has a status of "legal tender". Surely either system would require a change of law to allow "No cash please, we're British" to be introduced?
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The language of flowers   Fri 08 May 2015, 21:07

@Meles meles wrote:
Forget-me-not ... now there's a flower with an interesting background.

From wiki:

'In a German legend, God named all the plants when a tiny unnamed one cried out, "Forget-me-not, O Lord!" God replied, "That shall be your name."
The forget-me-not is used as the flower of remembrance of the Armenian Genocide, which took place between 1915 and 1923. It is a prominent spring plant throughout Europe on the 24 April, which is the anniversary of the day the genocide began, and its name in many Indo-European languages conveys the same meaning of 'remember'. The Republic of Armenia issued an official illustration of the flower as a badge for the remembrance in preparation for the 2015 centenary.'
It always reminds me of this in any German context :-

Quote :

Vergissmeinnicht
Three weeks gone and the combatants gone,
returning over the nightmare ground
we found the place again, and found
the soldier sprawling in the sun.
The frowning barrel of his gun
overshadowing. As we came on
that day, he hit my tank with one
like the entry of a demon.
Look. Here in the gunpit spoil
the dishonored picture of his girl
who has put: Steffi. Vergissmeinnicht
in a copybook gothic script.
We see him almost with content
abased, and seeming to have paid
and mocked at by his own equipment
that's hard and good when he's decayed.
But she would weep to see today
how on his skin the swart flies move;
the dust upon the paper eye
and the burst stomach like a cave.
For here the lover and killer are mingled
who had one body and one heart.
And death who had the soldier singled
has done the lover mortal hurt.

Quote :
Quote :
Quote :
Keith Douglas (1920-1944)
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The language of flowers   Fri 08 May 2015, 22:31

@Nielsen wrote:
So far it's been announced as a 'might' which is being hit upon, as we are about to go into electioneering mood here.

It looks as though at least one Copenhagen florist is ready for the fight. A floral guard on the door of this blomster to remind customers have coin of the realm in their purses.

You have my sympathy on the impending election campaign Nielsen. Thank goodness ours here is finally over. No more party politics for us for a while I'm pleased to say. One added bonus is that the airwaves are now being freed up. I note, for example, that the drama 1864 which was broadcast in Denmark last autumn is now to be shown by the BBC later this spring. Could it be that producers at DR1 were perusing the Res Historica Forum last year and were reading our comments regarding the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Dybbøl on the 'attacking when outnumbered' thread.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The language of flowers   Tue 19 May 2015, 18:26

Re Longman Floral - the company who, acting on instructions from an unknown party, leave flowers at the Tower every year on May 19th, the anniversary of the execution of Anne Boleyn, I found this. I had never heard of Mr Longman - I always thought Constance Spry did the flowers for the Coronation.

http://flowersforroyalweddings.blogspot.co.uk/

From the blog:

For me, the most interesting of the Coronation anniversary observances was the recreation of the the Queen's Coronation bouquet, and the presentation of that bouquet to the Queen at Buckingham Palace.  For some five years now, I have been privileged to be in contact with Mr. David Longman.  Mr. Longman, now retired, headed Longmans Ltd. of London.  Longmans were the florists who for many years supplied special floral arrangements for special occasions in the life of the Royal family.  Martin Longman created the Queen's original coronation bouquet.  David Longman designed and oversaw the floral decorations and bridal flowers for Princess Diana, and Sarah Ferguson.  Last week marked a special gathering in the throne room at the Palace where representatives from The Worshipful Company of Gardeners presented the Queen with a near exact replica of the bouquet she carried on her coronation day.  The Worshipful Company supplied the flowers for many royal occasions, teaming with Longmans Ltd. to do the actual design work in creating the finished floral arrangements.
Back to top Go down
FrederickLouis
Aediles

PostSubject: Re: The language of flowers   Sat 17 Dec 2016, 22:48

Would you say that the fragrance of the sweetest roses, such as the Damask and the York and Lancaster, is beyond any flower scent?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The language of flowers   Sun 18 Dec 2016, 11:13

Scientists certainly agree with that statement, FL. Modern roses, even the "wild" ones, are the product of thousands of years (possibly tens of thousands of years) of human intervention through hybridisation and husbandry of the species, normally with a view to accentuating the fragrance, and often it appears through marrying the flowering plant to quite unrelated species too. This, for example, from the Garden Clinic website ...

"... scientists discovered that essential rose oil contains more than 400 components, including musk, nasturtium, orris, violet, apple, lemon, clover, fern/moss, hyacinth, orange, bay anise, lily-of-the-valley, linseed, honey, wine, marigold, quince, geranium, pepper, parsley and raspberry."

So long has it being going on that it is apparently impossible these days to identify a truly wild variant of the plant anymore which could be comparable to the ones that started the ball rolling in Mesopotamia at the dawn of civilisation, or even further back.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net

The language of flowers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics-