A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 23 May 2017, 11:23

Welcome back Paul.

We have a friend in Sweden desperately awaiting a Kidney donor, if you have one to spare.....
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 24 May 2017, 23:02

Thank you all for the empathy and congratulations.
It should be perhaps better in the rant thread, but here it seems more a social meeting, a kind of "café".

Being for some 8 days condemned to watch TV and the teletext device didn't work. and I daredn't to put it all that noisy, although I had a room apart as I had to be isolated as by the anti rejection medicaments my resistence against entering virusses, bacteries et all was low.
And next week a hearing aid...that's growing old...
Watched it all, from BBC World, ARTE, Euronews, Geographical (that with Dutch subtitles), France 1, 2 et 3, the two German channels, Dutch and French language TV...
And now my rant about BBC World...although I have BBC World as start pagina on my computer and rather satisfied about it for the analysisses (what is the plurial of analysis?), watching the whole week BBC World TV I have the impression that it is in Middle East questions a bit biased...is it sponsored by Saudia-Arabia or Quatar?
For instance the comment on a book about the Syrian conflict: it was Assad who caused the whole turmoil responsable for all the deads...
No in the beginning it was a local conflict against the Assad regime, but it became due to the support of foreign countries a Proxi war between the Arab peninsula (Saudi-Arabia, Quatar...), the US on one side and Iran, later backed by Russia on the other. And in the meantime ISIS and Al Qaida got out of control and Saudi Arabia and the US had to react at their own side...and Euope is the victim, but even more the biggest victims are the "normal" citizens trapped in the middle of the turmoil....

Another event that I closely followed: The recent Sarin attack...in Syria...
As I started to say that I couldn't understand that an Assad on the winning hand against the "rebels" and certainly didn't need a Sarin attack could be so stupid to do that and I couldn't understand either if one of his subordinates could have done that with the consent of Assad. Now both the official British and French are supporting the idea that he did it, even with "experts"...
Not that much the US any more, while the official State department document was commented by a professor of the MIT...and from the photos of that report, I have seen them, there was an item on the road, a kind of cylinder from a rocket and it was from the impact as if there had be an explosive device detonated above the tube to let it burst...from the evidence of the official US report the professor concluded that the whole affair had to be constructed on the road and not from a Sarin bomb...I have it all in English and French if one is interested

How will "history" judge this event? One worries how accurate is "history writing"...And yes we had yet the Tonkin bay incident and in Syria another Sarin incident, which is rather convincing covered as a made up...and that is reassuring...

In another documentary (I don't remember what channel) about the Jewish settlements on the West Bank...interview with an older Jewish woman...look what we made of it...it's like a garden of Eden...the interviewer: but that is land from a Palestinian...the older woman: no it is land given by "God" to the Jews...and who can challenge "God"...
Or the woman is a Bible freak and "believing" what she says or she is seeking against better knowledge that she has political rights on that piece of land...?

All that claims on "God" are frightening me as again that Manchester massacre of yesterday, yes Allah is great...
BTW my empathy to the British people and especially the Manchester one in these days of sorrow.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 29 May 2017, 13:16

Watched this at the weekend. Based on the true story of Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who volunteered as a combat medic:

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 31 May 2017, 13:11

Attempts to communicate with POTUS are continuing:

Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 03 Jun 2017, 15:32

Some nicknames that have been given to Glasgow characters by their friends and workmates:

*Two Soups* - his real name is Campbell Baxter.

*Norrie Two Bonnets* - the Glasgow taxi-driver who wears a wig under his cloth cap.

*The Colostomy* - the girlfriend of a married man (i.e. the wee bag on the side).

*The Boomerang Kid* - whenever anyone at work asks a question, he always replies: 'I'll get back to you on that. '

*The Parachute* - lets everyone down at the last minute.

*Vaseline* - his real name is Willie Burns.

*Rembrandt* - loves saying to colleagues: 'Let me put you in the picture...'

*Bo Derek * - a chap called Derek with terrible body odour.

*The Genie* - magically appears whenever anyone opens a bottle.

*Dulux* - his pals reckon he's only got one coat.

*Soapy* - washes his hands of any problems that crop up..

*The Yeti* - always on the sick. Many unconfirmed sightings of this guy,but nobody can prove he actually exists.

*The Gas Man* - he's serviced loads of old boilers.

*The Hostage* - when anyone asks for help he always replies: 'Sorry, my hands are tied.'

*The Olympic Flame* - He never goes out
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Jun 2017, 09:35

Will the 8th of June be the end of May?:

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Jun 2017, 09:56

Even if she wins but doesn't greatly improve her majority I suspect it will be but the subtle knives would be wielded by the 'men in grey suits' and not by Jeremy or anyone else. The 1922 committee, John Major's 'unreconstructed bastards', have no mercy on perceived losers.

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:14

Could be, Ferval. Skybet are giving 100/30 against an overall Conservative majority, 5/1 for a majority of 50-74 seats.

Jeremy tries the Corbynite Manoeuver:

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Decemviratus Legibus Scribundis

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 07 Jun 2017, 20:58

I've been unwell for the last few days and am still not 100% recovered.  I went out with some companions from the local U3A on Sunday and was well albeit a little prone to hayfever.  The temperature outside was a little damper and cooler than it had been (I went out without tights but I normally do that in summer).  I woke up on Monday with a cough/cold and sore throat and cancelled activities my for the week.  (The sore throat has gone but I'm still coughing).  I'll have to drag myself out of the house to vote tomorrow though I can't but feel it's a damage limitation excercise; having to pick the best of a bad bunch. Incidentally with it being colder I decided to put on some socks - the odd sock phenomenon struck again and rather than firtle incessantly through the sock drawer I put odd ankle socks on trusting that they might not be spotted in a relatively short journey to the local co-op shop.  "Why are you wearing odd socks?" enquired a little boy - so I told him I wasn't feeling well and didn't feel like searching. I didn't want to wear my boots because they have high heels (somebody gave them to me secondhand) and they can throw me forward a little if I'm not 100%.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited because I had not said what I had cancelled!)
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Jun 2017, 15:21

Have a hot toddy, LiR, that'll cure it.

from 1912:

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 08 Jun 2017, 19:23

Goodness, I must be much more important than I thought I was, I have just answered the phone and a voice (Indian!) intoned, "Good evening, this is Jed calling from the European Commission". Naturally I burst out laughing and Jed rang off. If only I had more self control I could have spent an entertaining half hour stringing him along.

Or have I missed something really important? A request to join the Brexit team perhaps?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 09 Jun 2017, 09:30

Coffee, black coffee and matchsticks for my eyelids please, I'm bleary and befuddled. What a night - I speculated as to who would be left standing this morning and lo - it's no-one. Corbyn did well but not well enough, Sturgeon won but was wounded, the Scots seem fated to always turn back at Derby. The Lib Dems are walking wounded, May has brought down the temple on her own head and Boris is prowling hungrily and there's every chance of another bloody election soon. Interesting times indeed.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:16

I'm still sniffly-snuffly and didn't stay up last night. Ferval, I'm sure it was quite unintentional but do you realise you have possibly put my recovery back with the horrible thought of Boris at number 10!

Trike, I doubt a hot toddy will cure a cold/cough but it may make one less unpleasant to have.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 12:42

@ferval wrote:
the Scots seem fated to always turn back at Derby.

I wouldn't be quite so gloomy. There are quite a few positives to be taken from the election result although, admittedly, it might take a while for these to be appreciated. I don't know if LiR had a hot toddy or not but in the meantime I'll certainly have a Scotch whisky this weekend (not an Irish whiskey) to toast the high turn-out and the re-engagement of so many people (both young and old) in public affairs.

Last edited by Vizzer on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 12:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 12:45

Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 13:08

@ferval wrote:
The Book of Jeremy Corbyn

Enjoy!

Thank you Ferval, this is probably the most reasoned description I've seen yet.

Perhaps slightly ironic in tone, but so what.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 18:25

Here's Carol Ann Duffy's election poem.

Campaign

In which her body was a question-mark

querying her lies; her mouth a ballot-box that bit the hand that fed. Her eyes? They swivelled for a jackpot win. Her heart was a stolen purse;

her rhetoric an empty vicarage, the windows smashed.

Then her feet grew sharp stilettos, awkward.

Then she had balls, believe it.

When she woke,

her nose was bloody, difficult.

The furious young

ran towards her through the fields of wheat.

Harsh but fair?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 20:47

I was older (well obviously I still am older) than her so I never actually knew her but Carol Ann Duffy attended the same primary school as I did and for a few years before it closed the Convent School in Stafford, (her family moved there for a time though they are originally Scots). I can't really namedrop because as I say I had left both respective schools (not by much) when she went there. I still prefer Teresa to the thought of Boris!
Back to top Go down
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 21:45

It is a bit harsh - and more than a bit personal. Rather than judging politicians on their physical appearance or on their family background I prefer to judge them on their record. And I long ago gave up even yawning whenever anyone over the age of 30 claims to speak on behalf of or claims to know the thoughts or motives of the 'young'.

That said - a hung parliament is indeed poetic justice. In 2011 we were told by the 'No' campaign during the electoral reform referendum that year that the Single Largest Wins voting system, which we currently have, somehow provides 'decisive' outcomes. (Echoes of 'strong and stable' perhaps?) And yet Single Largest Wins has now delivered 2 hung parliaments in just 7 years. Jeremy Corbyn supported the Alternative Vote during that referendum and - oh - Theresa May opposed it. A delicious irony.

Talking about delicious. I think I'll have another dram of 10-year-old Talisker!
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 07:24

@ferval wrote:
The Book of Jeremy Corbyn

Enjoy!

Oh, thanks for that, ferval - first time I've laughed since Friday morning.

I'm surprised Anthony Lane didn't mention how all the young ones in the land rejoiced to the noise of loud trumpets and high-sounding cymbals, lifting their hearts unto the Lord and singing with a joyful voice: "We were glad when they said unto us let us go skipping like young goats to the mountain top where our prophet shouteth the good news, declaring unto us that our lot will indeed be cast in a goodly inheritance. He hath promised us furthermore that we will receive (from September) the reward due to us, the faithful children of the most high: 9,000 pieces of silver a year in saved tuition fees - if we actually manage to rise up out of our beds on June 8th and vote, that is. Let us indeed rise up and enter with thanksgiving into the booths (polling) of our God - the tabernacles being prepared for us by the chosen one of the Lord. It is surely fit and meet so to do. Not forgetting, as previously mentioned, that we shall also be rejoicing in the tabernacles belonging unto our grans and our mums and dads - eventually. Thanks indeed be to Jeremy."

The Duffy poem is very sharp, as expected from such a clever writer. But really, in the interests of fair play, Duffy should do an equally nasty one about that unpleasant Diane Abbott woman.

Perhaps out of all this dreadful mess some sort of sane centre party will be formed. But I doubt it. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right - or should that be the other way round?

Last edited by Temperance on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 09:12; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 09:49

Ferval,

I hope you'll forgive me for having copied the Book of Jeremy Corbyn and the poem by Ms Duffy, and passed them on.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:32

Nielsen, I did exactly that myself having been sent them by friends.

Abbott is marmite and bloody annoying but it's impossible to deny her achievements nor the abuse she has suffered in public and private media.  I see her as a flawed (ain't we all?) but sincere and principled human being.  https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06/07/we-need-to-talk-about-diane-abbott-now-explicit-content/
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 14:52

@ferval wrote:

Abbott is marmite and bloody annoying but it's impossible to deny her achievements nor the abuse she has suffered in public and private media.  I see her as a flawed (ain't we all?) but sincere and principled human being.  https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06/07/we-need-to-talk-about-diane-abbott-now-explicit-content/

If you live by the media, you die by the media these days - whatever your politics, gender or colour.

If one wanted to be ungracious (Heaven forbid), one could point out that being black and the daughter of a welder was a positive advantage if one was trying to get into Oxford or Cambridge in the 1970s. The likes of Marxist Terry Eagleton had been a fellow at Cambridge until 1969 and he and other Marxists had been a huge influence there. In 1969 Eagleton moved to the University of Oxford where he became a fellow and tutor of Wadham College (1969–1989), Linacre College (1989–1993) and St Catherine's College, becoming Thomas Warton Professor of English in 1992. At Wadham, Eagleton ran a well-known seminar on Marxist literary theory which, in the 1980s, metamorphosed into the radical pressure group Oxford English Limited. God help any middle-class kid during the 1970s who dared argue that he - and his mates - could be wrong about anything.

I'm sure that Abbott has many fine qualities: my point, however, was that she, like Madame May - and yes, like us all - gets things horribly, horribly wrong at times. Duffy's attack was too personal and too bitter for me. I admire her poetry usually, but that was just too cruel - and too one-sided. The deficiencies of the whole bunch of them at Westminster should be exposed, not just the weakness and humiliation of one woman who is, after all, no Margaret Thatcher. Duffy should have left the Tories to savage her: we can rest assured that they'll do a brilliant job.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 15:25

@Temperance wrote:
The deficiencies of the whole bunch of them at Westminster should be exposed, not just the weakness and humiliation of one woman who is, after all, no Margaret Thatcher.

Her inadequacies are certainly being noted outside the UK. Last night on French TV, à propos of the senatorial elections being held today, they were interviewing Macron's Premier Ministre, Edouard Philippe, and at one point he said something like their watchword should be "puissance et stabilité".

At which point he was asked if he really meant that? ... to which he replied "yes, why not?". "Well", said the interviewer, "it's just that basically it sounds like Theresa May's slogan, 'strong and stable' ...non?". 
"Ah!" he replied, "well I didn't mean it quite like that" ... and he then quickly changed the subject.

Well I found it amusing.

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 19:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 15:40

Was Margaret Thatcher all that wonderful?  Her selling off of the utilities means that some of our utility companies are now foreign-owned (which could surely have potentially serious implications post-Brexit).  Not that Labour are the great red hope - I'm pretty disillusioned with politicians in general but I still believe in exercising my right to vote.

As for anybody of whatever age speaking for "the young", I find the attribution of blanket views to young folk as a group tiresome; surely there'll young people who hold the whole spectrum of political opinions like in any age group.  I used to respect the Beeb's news coverage but just after the Brexit vote they were very much making it a division of oldsters having voted to leave and youngsters having voted to remain.  Now, whilst I have come across older folk who voted to leave and younger ones who voted to stay I have not found it to be excessively one way or the other; I've known of oldsters who voted to remain and youngsters (well, younger than me anyway) who voted to leave.

About Temperance stating that the Tories would savage TM, I believe it's already started.  George Ozzie has already started it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40237819.  Well, I know that Ozzie is not in Parliament any longer but I haven't seen any signs that he's become a card-carrying Communist since going over to journalism.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 16:10

LiR wrote:

Was Margaret Thatcher all that wonderful?  

I certainly was not implying that Thatcher was "wonderful", LiR. Quite the opposite. Thatcher was strong all right, but not stable. She was an ego-driven woman, and Lord did we all pay for her ambition and her "drive". May in my opinion - and of course I could be quite, quite wrong - really did mean well. Thatcher was a hard-headed, hard-hearted politician - brutal and effective - one who had no compassion in her cold Tory soul. May, on the other hand, is like a worthy headmistress of an excellent girls' grammar school -  basically a decent, hard-working (but not driven) woman, but a dinosaur for all that, a woman who is living in the past, in a lost world of perceived "duty" and devotion to the middle-class Protestant work ethic; a woman with (like her Majesty the Queen) a genuine belief that there are moral obligations, a belief inculcated by early exposure to the traditions of the old Church of England. That devastatingly cruel line from Duffy -  "...her rhetoric an empty vicarage, the windows smashed" says it all. I find her humiliation rather sad, actually, although others I know are exulting in it.

Lines from the old Rolling Stones' song come to mind:

You're out of touch my baby
My poor old fashioned baby
I said baby, baby, baby, you're out of time

Well, baby, baby, baby, you're out of time
I said baby, baby, baby, you're out of time
Yes you are left out, yes, you are
I said you're left out of there without a doubt
'cause baby, baby, baby, you're out of time

You thought you was a clever girl
Giving up your social whirl
But you can't come back and be the first in line, oh
yeah
You're obsolete, my baby
My poor old fashioned baby
I said baby, baby, baby, you're out of time...

Odd, because everyone thought it was Corbyn who was living in the past. Just shows you.

Here's the Chris Farlowe version:

Last edited by Temperance on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 23:15; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 22:33

@Temperance wrote:

May, on the other hand, is like a worthy headmistress of an excellent girls' grammar school -  basically a decent, hard-working (but not driven) woman, but a dinosaur for all that, a woman who is living in the past, in a lost world of perceived "duty" and devotion to the middle-class Protestant work ethic; a woman with (like her Majesty the Queen) a genuine belief that there are moral obligations, a belief inculcated by early exposure to the traditions of the old Church of England.

Hmmm, maybe .... but then why does nearly everything she says turn out later to be lies*, and nearly everything she does seem to be the actions of an unprincipled, untrustworthy incompetent who will apparently say and do anything just to cling to personal power? Cameron at least had the decency to resign.

But hey ... I'm just supposed to "suck it up" as I didn't even get a vote.

*campaigned for remain, then said she was pro-brexit; vowed to enact Article 50 immediately on assuming office but only does it 6 months later; repeatedly said there would be no general election then suddenly calls one; says she would only accept a mandate if she got an overall majority in excess of 10 seats, fails to get that overall majority so sells her soul to the devil just to stay in power ....

And people wonder why I personally have far more confidence in the French government and European Parliament than the in the British government who seem keen to use me just as a bargaining chip in their brexit negociations.

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 22:59; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 22:51

Oh crossed posts, MM. I've just been editing mine a bit. Will you change your quote - please. The wording's really bad in my original.

She wanted to resign early Friday morning apparently, but they stopped her, saying it would cause utter chaos - which there is anyway. But I do agree - she should have gone straight away. It's an awful, awful mess. But she didn't actually lose the damn election, just the working majority. Corbyn's strutting around as if he's won a Blair-type landslide -  but he did actually lose!! Even the Have I Got News For You lot said that on Friday night.

I'm no Tory, but she's not a bad woman - just not a very clever politician. Politicians lie all the time -  her problem was she didn't in that manifesto. That was her big mistake. She told the truth about what she intended to do and everyone panicked. And a lot of Brexit Remainers wanted to give someone a good kicking - which they've done very effectively. They are still pushing for a second referendum - God help us. Never mind Brenda from Bristol - I don't think any of us could cope with that at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 23:21

Well anyway the 19th June should be an interesting day: the opening of a new parliament with the Queen's Speech (introducing a dementia tax, eroding citizens' rights, cuts to disabled benefits etc.) .... plus it's the first day of formal brexit negociations. But at least it looks like Trump has suddenly got cold feet and won't be visiting the UK anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 12 Jun 2017, 02:05

@Temperance wrote:
Oh crossed posts, MM. I've just been editing mine a bit. Will you change your quote - please. The wording's really bad in my original.

She wanted to resign early Friday morning apparently, but they stopped her, saying it would cause utter chaos - which there is anyway. But I do agree - she should have gone straight away. It's an awful, awful mess. But she didn't actually lose the damn election, just the working majority. Corbyn's strutting around as if he's won a Blair-type landslide -  but he did actually lose!! Even the Have I Got News For You lot said that on Friday night.

I'm no Tory, but she's not a bad woman - just not a very clever politician. Politicians lie all the time -  her problem was she didn't in that manifesto. That was her big mistake. She told the truth about what she intended to do and everyone panicked. And a lot of Brexit Remainers wanted to give someone a good kicking - which they've done very effectively. They are still pushing for a second referendum - God help us. Never mind Brenda from Bristol - I don't think any of us could cope with that at the moment.

I've seen a lot of people say that but this election was never about which party was going to win or lose. May called the election (despite saying numerous times that there would be no election) when the Tories were 24% ahead in the polls and a Tory win was a given. To strengthen her mandate, increase the Tory majority and get another 5 years for herself in No 10 she said. Corbyn denied her every one of those objectives and gained 32 seats in the process which is very much a win. It was really quite a remarkable turnaround from a man who was apparently unelectable and dubbed an appeaser of terrorism.

She is a horrid woman because she has put personal and party ambition ahead of the wellbeing of those that she has promised to serve, and is a racist to boot. But her alternative is going to be infinitely worse if Boris gets his way. Ugh

And whilst the government is navel gazing NI is set to implode and the Brexit clock is ticking with now less than 2 years to negotiate an exit from the EU that has also to be passed by 27 seperate member state parliaments within that time or Britain crashes out without a deal, no trade, no planes able to fly, no customs, no passport for London and on it goes. And despite what May told everyone, no deal is infinitely worse for everyone concerned than a bad deal.

I don't see any way around it other than another ref, Britain has to decide what it wants to be and do once and for all instead of ignoring the elephant in the room like it did in the election. The problem isn't going away and only set to get worse unless it is addressed.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 12 Jun 2017, 08:53

There are actually about five elephants in the room, ID, and they are all doing a Blue Peter.

It's odd how one can be reading something historical that strikes one as being peculiarly relevant to our own times. I'm ploughing through a book about Elizabeth I at the moment, and about a couple of hours ago (I do most of my reading in the early hours these days) I came across this. The Princess Elizabeth, just after the burning of Cranmer, is walking in the fields around Hatfield, talking to her old tutor, Roger Ascham. He has just noted that the Princess hates her sister and her adviser, Cardinal Pole (he of the pansies mentioned on the badges thread), for their bungling far more than for their cruelty:

"Yes, it's true Cranmer had the courage of a scholar. And Mary a warm heart. And Pole integrity. All good people by nature. Yet look at the Devil's brew they have broiled between them...I suppose it is too much to ask for a grain of common sense among all these saints and martyrs and fanatics - yes and from a lunatic who sits on the Papal throne and jangles the keys of St. Peter. They are all of 'em tearing England to pieces."

"How would you save her, Madam?"

"How? By a touch, not a clutch on the bridle; by a bit, not a spur; by a care-free laugh - by the appearance of ease and confidence in security, even when the reality were never more absent. And when the gulf yawns indeed beneath our feet, to say, 'Farewell to such miseries, and to hell with melancholy!' Or, as you would say, Master Tutor, 'Valeant ista amara; ad Tartara eat melancholia.' "

But we have no Elizabeth waiting in the wings, more's the pity.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 08:44

Drinks all round - I'm celebrating life today so only variations of "uisce beatha" are allowed!

Vizzer - a suitably e-less dram is on the counter when you want it. The rest of you can either join me in a joyfully e-ful Jameson 10 or, if you want to go all classical, choose between any version of Aqua Vitæ that exists in the world's many languages (it's an extensive bar we have here).

If we run out I have my best men working on it ...
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.historyboard.net
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 08:49

It's good to have you back, Nordmann, as you're celebrating life I'll join you in a Jameson's.

Afterwards we may have a danish Akvavit - now owned and produced by a Norwegian company in Norway.

Last edited by Nielsen on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 15:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 08:51

Norwegians are dead jealous of the Danes' "happiest people in the world" sobriquet so they reckoned they'd buy what they thought was its source! They'll be after the Carlsberg next, the fools!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 08:53

Perhaps they haven't realized that Danes expect less and thus are easier to satisfy.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 09:06

Norwegians don't understand "less" anymore. drunken

Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 09:09

Thus they are unwittingly granting the Danes an advantage  Cheers
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 09:43

Can I join you gents in a dram with a chaser of bitters tears please? I'm delighted you are celebrating, nordmann, so we will join in enthusiastically, there's not a lot of simple joy untainted by irony and despair around.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 10:02

Of course you can, Ferval, will you?

Last edited by Nielsen on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 15:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 11:31

@nordmann wrote:
Drinks all round - I'm celebrating life today so only variations of "uisce beatha" are allowed!

Well then a nice framboise eau de vie would be very nice, thankyou. Strictly I'm on no alcohol at the moment - doctor's orders - but I don't think e-alcohol counts. But why today's celebration of life, Nordmann, although equally why not? Have I missed something?

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 13:57

You have missed nothing. I have become a great fan of this dead Syrian though in the last few weeks:

The place reeks of stale politics. Have I missed something?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 15:16

Er, which dead Syrian would that be - I see no links?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 16:53

Load the page. Go off and have a cup of the water of life and then come back to it. Then all will be revealed. We live in an impatient age, which doesn't suit slow loading pages due to a lot of dodgy links (not mine I hasten to add). 

The same lad originated the term "all things come to those who wait" but that's only a coincidence, trust me.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 18:20

I was just about to post that it had finally loaded and crossed your post. Apologies for my lack of patience.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 21:53

@nordmann wrote:
You have missed nothing. I have become a great fan of this dead Syrian though in the last few weeks:

The place reeks of stale politics. Have I missed something?

Nordmann,

happy to see you overhere again. I am glad for you that it is OK again with you. As I am glad for me Wink ...to have you, the erudite, back among us...
I can't open the link (tried some ten minutes with all kind of tricks) but found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publilius_Syrus
https://books.google.ca/books?id=_QQSAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Kind regards and "op uw gezondheid" (à votre santé, à la vôtre)(on your health) from Paul.

PS: For Nielsen, who understands German: "op uw gezondheit" Buchstäblich: Auf ihre Gesundheit but in German: "zum wohl"
Back to top Go down
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 15 Jun 2017, 23:36

Thanks for the dram nordman - e-less or e-ful. Either way, one wonders what Publilius would make of a superfluity of fermented grain mash:

Pipere qui abundat, oleribus miscet piper. (Whosoever has plenty of pepper puts pepper on greens.)

Pepper on greens or black pepper on green peppers perhaps. If pepper is substituted by whisky we might get - 'Whosoever has plenty of whisky puts whisky on greens'. Can one use whiskey as a pickle? I'm sure one can. Pickled peppers. Red peppers and pickled greens. (That last bit sounds like it could a headline of a newspaper article trying to explain how the Green vote got squeezed by Labour during the recent UK general election - so I'll stop there.)
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Mon 19 Jun 2017, 22:03

Just to say that I didn't deserted the forum. Only just no time for the moment...

Kind regards to all from Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Tue 20 Jun 2017, 07:53

Thanks very much for the private message, Paul. I'll reply to it in due course.

It seems you may need a drink more than anyone at the moment - so I found what I think might be a Belgian beer, and if it isn't then your countrymen missed a trick!  Cheers

(thanks to the plethora of dodgy links on our pub pages you may have to wait a wee while before it displays in all its cervisialistic glory!
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 22 Jun 2017, 15:09

It's been *beeped*

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 22 Jun 2017, 21:48

@nordmann wrote:
Thanks very much for the private message, Paul. I'll reply to it in due course.

It seems you may need a drink more than anyone at the moment - so I found what I think might be a Belgian beer, and if it isn't then your countrymen missed a trick!  Cheers

(thanks to the plethora of dodgy links on our pub pages you may have to wait a wee while before it displays in all its cervisialistic glory!

Nordmann thank you very much for the offer and for the comforting reply.

Hmm...Audrey Hopburn Belgian IPA seems to be  a Canadian beer with a Belgian taste of Indian Pale Ale
http://www.greatlakesbeer.com/beer/audrey-hopburn/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jseliske/9723067996/
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/174/

To be honest on such occasions I prefer a Gouden Carolus...
http://www.hetanker.be/en/gouden-carolus-classic
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1534/4106/

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   Thu 22 Jun 2017, 21:54

OOPS Nordmann and I forgot to add my addendum and end sentence:

But hey Nordmann I accept your friendly offer...after all: " 'n gegeven paard kijkt men niet in de bek" (a gift horse one don't look in the mouth)

Regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 18 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Tumbleweed Suite-